• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Master PDF Editor

Started by fox, June 17, 2017, 02:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Master PDF Editor, where have you been all my life? This is a free application that runs on Linux as well as Mac, Windows; at least the basic version is free for non-commercial use. It's fast and it's pretty powerful. You can edit test and images, comment and annotate, split and merge, and create and fill out PDF forms. The commercial version does quite a few other things, but nothing that I would need except perhaps to sign a document with a digital signature. Even the commercial version sells for a reasonable $63 Canadian. But I would buy the non-commercial version if I had to, as it's something that I use a lot.

Up until this time I have been using Foxit Reader. It's very good as well, but I couldn't get it to work in Arch (a bug that they will probably fix soon). But this one seems faster and is laid out nicer, and I think it does one or two things that the non-commercial version of Foxit Reader doesn't. Also, there are some fillable forms that don't work with Foxit; I'm curious whether these will work with Master PDF Editor.

If you're interested in trying this, you can get it here.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Nice!  Thanks Mike.  I have downloaded and installed, but have not tried it, yet.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

ssfc72

Mike, are you still using this pdf editor?  It appears now that there is only a demo version available, that puts a watermark on any output file that you generate.

Yikes, it costs $103 CDN to get a paid version.  I guess I may need to keep looking for for a free or reasonably priced editor.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

fox

Yes, I still use it, although not when my other pdf editor (Foxit Reader) works. It's rare that it doesn't. It won't when certain Adobe fill-out features are enabled in the document. Foxit Reader is free to use, but like Master PDF Editor, it isn't freeware. There is a paid version of Foxit Reader, but I have never needed it.

Jason

Bill, do you need all those features? I mean, are you trying to edit the layout, etc. of a PDF file or is it that you want to fill it out on the computer and then print out? I'm thinking that Master PDF might be overkill for what you want.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

So, I found a webpage that has an older, free version of Master PDF Editor.
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/04/download-master-pdf-editor-4-for-linux.html

Master PDF Editor works well for me, for changing text in a pdf document.

I have the Foxit Reader, but it seems to only be able to annotate a pdf document. I couldn't find a way to replace text, in a pdf document.

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on April 20, 2021, 03:13:31 PM
So, I found a webpage that has an older, free version of Master PDF Editor.
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/04/download-master-pdf-editor-4-for-linux.html

Master PDF Editor works well for me, for changing text in a pdf document.

I have the Foxit Reader, but it seems to only be able to annotate a pdf document. I couldn't find a way to replace text, in a pdf document.

I couldn't figure out how to enter text in Foxit on a particular form. The cursor arrow turned to a character icon but I still couldn't enter anything.

Fox, are there PDF forms that purposely don't let you enter text?

The one I was trying to use did have a need for a signature but I was planning on doing that after I printed it out with my input. My handwriting isn't that great so I like to enter the text on the computer for maximum legibility.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

With regard to Foxit Reader, one can enter text in fillable forms, but not otherwise. Master PDF Editor does let you modify regular text.

Jason

Quote from: fox on April 20, 2021, 06:03:01 PM
With regard to Foxit Reader, one can enter text in fillable forms, but not otherwise. Master PDF Editor does let you modify regular text.

Thanks. I wanted to fill out my vaccination consent form using the computer but it wouldn't let me, so I printed it and filled it in. I'm not holding my breath on how soon I'll get vaccinated but it's good to be prepared.