• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

YUMI-Multibot USB Creator

Started by ssfc72, June 13, 2017, 09:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

This is my favourite  program to use when I want to put multiple Linux Live Distros, on a usb thumb drive.
I then can just use the one thumb drive, to choose which of the Distros that I want to boot up.
To make things even better, I use a usb dongle that will accept standard SD cards or micro SD cards.  I then can have multiple SD cards, loaded with multiple Linux Distros  and the SD cards are so small that they can be carried in a small container, along with my notebook computer.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

The only problem with YUMI is that it is a Windoz exe program. :-(
Fortunately YUMI will run using WINE and Linux.
I install WINE from the Distro Repository, go to the WINE menu and in the Settings menu I select Windows 7 instead of the Windows XP configuration

I then right click on the YUMI exe program that I downloaded and select WINE to run the exe.
WINE will probably come back, during the install, to ask you to click to install some additional programs such as Mono, etc.

With YUMI up and running, you need to select the usb thumb drive that you will be loading the Linux Distro, to.
You have to make sure you choose the correct drive or else you might wipe out one of your hard drives, if you select the wrong drive letter.
You can see which drive letter WINE has associated with the thumb drive by going to the WINE menu and clicking on the Drives.  This then shows all the Drive letters that Wine knows about.
Usually you can go by the listed capacity of the drive, to know which one is the usb thumb drive, that you are using. You can also click on the drive letter to see what files are in that drive.

Next on Yumi you need to select the Distro name, that you are going to be putting on the thumb drive.  YUMI has a list of just about every Distro, and you select the Distro name, that you want.

Next on Yumi, you tell it where you downloaded the Distro ISO, to, on your computer.  Select your downloaded Distro ISO and then tell YUMI to proceed.
When YUMI has finished placing the bootable Live Distro on your thumb drive, it will ask if you want to place another Distro on your thumb drive or quit.

To use the YUMI thumb drive to boot up one of the loaded Distros, you turn on your computer and have the computer look for bootable drives (usually pressing the F12 key, upon bootup, of the computer).
Select the YUMI thumb drive.
With the YUMI program booted you should be able to select a menu item for Linux Distros and in that folder you select the Live Distro that you want to boot up. :-)

To remove one of the Distros from the thumb drive, just boot up YUMI and on the upper right hand corner of the menu, there is a small box to select, if you want to remove one of your Distros.
A list of all your Distros, on the thumb drive is presented and you just select the Distro that you want to remove.

Bill

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Thanks, Bill; this looks very useful. What distros have you tested yumi with? Do any not work? This might be a good demo for our next PLUG meeting.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

On my 15 G SD card with Yumi, I currently have;  Ububtu 14.10, PinGuy 14.04, Chromixium 1.5, bl-Hydrogen, Clonezilla Live 2016, G-Parted Live, Peppermint 8 64 Bit, Peppermint 6 32 Bit, Sparky Linux, Super Grub2 Disk, GParted Live.

With Yumi installed on a thumb drive, you can see the extensive list of Distros and Linux Utilities, that it lists.  It even categorizes the list into groups such as Ubuntus, Mints, Linux Utilites, etc.

The List has Arch Linux and other variations of Arch.

If you choose a Distro from the list, it will work under YUMI.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

I've used Yumi before, too. I think we talked about it once at a meeting but it may have just been something one of the other members brought up in comments. YUMI was mentioned in the old forums, too. Just did a search:

http://plugintolinux.ca/search/node/yumi
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Jason, I followed your link and went back to the older thread. You mentioned there that there is a version for Linux, but I couldn't find one.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Yeah, I guess I was wrong or that changed since then. Now that I think of it, I've only run it from within Windows.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

As noted in my initial post, here, the Windows Yumi exe, can easily be run under Linux, using WINE.

Quote from: fox on June 14, 2017, 12:17:51 PM
Jason, I followed your link and went back to the older thread. You mentioned there that there is a version for Linux, but I couldn't find one.