• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

The number of Views, a posting racks up

Started by ssfc72, June 12, 2017, 05:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I find it interesting to occasionally look at the number of Views a posting racks up, in the PLUG Forums.

For instance, in the Support Forum, the posting started by Mike, about Dual Monitor freeze up, has attained around 1200 Views, since 2016.
Mike's posting must be turning up in Google searches, for this issue.

Bill 
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

It's obviously not PLUG members driving up the views; that would be about 80 views per member :). Dual monitor problems seem to be a big issue in various distros. I did a lot of searching trying to solve this problem and I never really did. In the end, I "solved" it by better a bigger display instead of relying on two smaller monitors.

Now that you got me looking, the only other posting with over 1,000 views was on the demise of Cub Linux (1,178 views). I wouldn't have thought this to be such a sought-after thread but I guess a lot of people were interested in this distro and searching for some sign that another maintainer was going to take it over. Just for fun, I did a Google search for Cub Linux, and the PLUG posting came up #10 in the list. Incidentally, Cub is still defunct, but you can download the last-produced version from several places.

Generally, our "Distros" postings got the most number of views, followed by postings under Linux and Android apps. Bill's rpi3 kit posting got over 500 views, and there were another 5-10 threads that also got that many or more views. William's posting "Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 700 2-in-1Tablet PC -- $770 at CanadaComputers" got over 500 views as well, and must have been good advertising for Canada Computers. (Ask them for a commission next time, William!) Besides my dual monitor posting, there were three other threads in Support that got over 500 views, including one on qbittorrent.

All of this suggests that our postings are useful to folks outside of our little PLUG group.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

interestingly enough, in my google search, 'Cub Linux'  ranked about #21 in my search, but that could have just changed since you ran the search this morning, Fox.

Btw, in case you wondered why I used 'Fox' instead of 'Mike', I'm trying to make it easier for new members or non-members to know who I'm talking to,
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

That is interesting. But I just searched "Cub Linux" again, and again got the PLUG post as #10. Could it have to do with the search engine? Mine is Google.ca, not Google.com. I tried searching with Google.com, but every time I type in Google.com, it gets automatically changed to Google.ca.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Ah, yes, I believe you're correct. I was (and am) using a VPN based in the US so I was searching Google.com results and not google.ca. I didn't know this because using Chrome, I just enter search results in the location bar and they automatically are directed into Google (in this case, Google.com). I went directly to google.com and then google.ca to verify this. On google.ca, I'm getting the same ranking as you. Incidentally, if you're in the US (or using a US VPN), you have your choice to use google.com or google.ca.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13