• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Linux Action Show in trouble

Started by fox, March 26, 2017, 07:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

In the latest edition of the Linux Action Show (get here), Chris and Noah discuss the show's future and the fact that the dearth of social media publicity for the show is putting it in jeopardy. This is unfortunate; the show has been running weekly for more than 10 years and it's the only Linux-focused video serial that I know of. I can't help them much, as I am not a fan of social media and I don't even have a Twitter account. But if you like the show and you use social media, do give them regular publicity. The show is going to run into April, at which point they will decide whether to keep it going or not.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I've liked some segments they've had on the show but I think their length is probably too long for most. Not many people, especially those on social media are going to watch a 90-minute show on anything. There's also probably too much banter between the hosts, too. If they turned into a 30-minute show or even three 30-minute shows a week, I think they'd do better. That's my feeling on it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Interesting that you said that, Jason. I don't mind the banter so much, but like you, I think that the show is too long. Typically when I watch it, I find the segment that interests me and just watch that part. I actually wrote them a long feedback letter suggesting they cut the length and eliminate those long trade show segments, which I find boring. But I don't know of any other serial video that is Linux-focused. Even Jupiter Broadcasting's "Linux Unplugged" is really just audio with a bunch of screen messages flashing by.

bobf

TL;DW

I've seen many segments, pointed to from some link by other Linux users (eg. show 319, 42:13 into the show...) But I set up LAS in Kodi on my RPi, and was watching that very show you mentioned, Mike, and they start off by saying, 'Stick around until the very end of the show', but I didn't, and it's not because I'm not sympathetic to their plight, I'm just not it it beyond distracted inanity. Go off on too many tangents, and you lose me. Compare/contrast with Leo Laporte on TechTV (I can't remember the name of it), but I had no trouble engaging - Skype callers, guests... Lots ot things to keep me enthralled beyond two guys babbling - and I loved the System76 segment, and I want - no, WANT!! - one of those!!

Best of luck, LAS; I hope you survive the transition...

Jason

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

From this week's LAS:

Final LAS is May 7th Live at LinuxFest Northwest 2017

What’s going to change afterwards:
    Two new shows, one revival
    User Error relaunch, with more the Linux content that was cut to hold for LAS.

Linux News Show, with Chris Fisher and Joe Ressington
    Live Sunday’s during LAS’ old time slot.
    Going to add a new voice, and more focus on one of the most liked segments of LAS (i.e. Linux news segment).
    Released to the LAS rss feeds, and its own dedicated YouTube channel.
    More details to come.

Ask Noah
    Launching April 3rd
    New user content, howtos, and questions answered.
    Simulcasted on KEQQ 88.3 LPFM

The changes look interesting; I'll probably listen to all of them, at least once. The User Error one is the most vague to me, as previous episodes seemed to have little to do with Linux.