• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Deal on LG Gpad III 8.0 LTE tablet

Started by fox, March 24, 2017, 07:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

So just some additional info, for those who may be thinking of getting an Android app to receive SMS texts on their tablet, from their Android phone.

The Android app Mike and I were checking out, was an LG app, because Mike just aquired a new LG tablet and was checking out its features.
As Mike says, the LG app uses bluetooth to send SMS texts from an Android phone to a Android tablet.  It has the limitations as Mike pointed out.

However there are a number of other such Android apps, available.
I tried out the MySMS android app, mysms.com, and it seems to work very well.  It uses wifi to connect up a tablet or computer to your Andoid phone, to be able to receive and send SMS texts on your tablet or computer.
It also, apparently, stores the SMS texts (encrypted) in the cloud. If you lose/break your phone, you can download all your previous SMS texts to your new phone, when you get one.

As for other Android texting apps (using the Data of you phone service),  I think most of them do not require you to obtain another phone number from the app company, to use the texting app.  However the persons you text to, must also have that particular app, on their phone , as well.  I use TIKL and it is a great app (you can use voice and talk, instead of texting, the person).

The Android app, TextPlus does allow you to select a local phone number, when you install this app.  The beauty of this is that anyone can text you, without having to download the TextPlus app.  They just text to your TextPlus phone number.
All this texting (or voice calling, which does require you to buy credit) is done use the Data plan of you cell service and not the SMS service.
You also can text to anyone ( without them having to have TextPlus running on their phone, as long as you know their phone number.

I have a pay as you go phone, so every SMS text I send (and receive, with some cell providers) costs me money.
It is much more cost effective, for me to use the Data service, that I pay for, to send/receive texts, than to use the SMS service.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

MySMS is also available for iOS, so hypothetically I could put it on my phone and use it connected to my LG GPad. So if you are connected by wifi, it is free to send and receive texts with it? Can it only send texts to another phone using that app?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I've never used the app but judging by what they say on their website it looks like you can send messages to another user using the app or via text (SMS). It's also kind of in the name :) I assume, that like TextPlus, it must set up a number that people can text back (if they don't have the app).

The cloud storage stuff seems to be only if you get the premium version which is $10 a year, USD, I'm guessing. Interestingly, you can also use MySMS from your computer but only under Windows or Mac.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

My understanding is,  that the wifi portion of receiving/sending SMS texts, is only between your cell phone and your android tablet ( which can't normally get SMS messages because your tablet does not have a SIM card/cellular service).

The text message from the tablet would "then" use the SMS texting service of your cell phone, to send the text on to its destination, which would be the person you are sending the SMS text, to. So therefore, you would need a SMS texting plan/service for your phone's cellular service.

The SMS text being sent by your cell phone, should reach any other cell phone, without the need of the app, being on the other person's phone, because the text is being sent, using SMS.

Mar 29, I have edited this post, to try and make my explanation, a little clearer. :-)

Quote from: fox on March 28, 2017, 04:08:13 PM
MySMS is also available for iOS, so hypothetically I could put it on my phone and use it connected to my LG GPad. So if you are connected by wifi, it is free to send and receive texts with it? Can it only send texts to another phone using that app?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I think that the app, like mySMS, makes it possible for the tablet to act through the cell phone. And you would need the same app on both devices to allow them to "pair".

bobf

Heady times, heady times! Enjoy Belgium, Mike! Send us back a postcard, maybe, but don't send us back a fish! 'Kay?! <^8#

fox

Quote from: bobf on March 29, 2017, 09:24:41 AM
Heady times, heady times! Enjoy Belgium, Mike! Send us back a postcard, maybe, but don't send us back a fish! 'Kay?! <^8#
What's the matter? You don't like round gobies? Not exotic enough perhaps, since they've been in our local waterways as an invasive species since 2004.  :)