• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

April PLUG meeting ideas?

Started by Jason, March 21, 2017, 10:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Does anybody have anything they would like to present for the April 2017 meeting?

I have something I'm working on but it might only be a half hour presentation though discussion could put it up to an hour. So I'd still like if somebody else could present something else or suggest to me something else easy and short to present.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Maybe we should bring our Raspberry PI's and show some different configurations.
I would like to see Mike with his multi booting to a usb flash drive/hard drive
Edit - Bob would have to do his RPi sometime later in the year, when his Ham course is done and be can make the Monday PLUG meetings.(Maybe Bob would have his Pi set up as media server).
Maybe Robert might have one of his RPi running something, that he could show us?
I have my Pi running the OpenElec OS
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I'm good with Bill's suggestion.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Bob has his amateur radio course that night, I believe. But if you, Bill, and Mike, would like to present your Raspberry Pi configurations, that'd be awesome!
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

I think the room projector does have a hdmi input because I recall  using a hdmi cable for one of my demos.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Aside from demoing our setups, we should talk generically about setup alternatives (e.g., berryboot, noobs, adefruit), multiple distros on the same setup, and booting from an SD card vs usb. I actually have two SD cards set up differently (one with berryboot and one with noobs). Both have distros on them and both are set up to boot from a usb. Bill's might be totally different.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

bobf

Actually, the best that the projector has for input is a DVI port that needs a DVI/HDMI adapter to complete the RPi -> HDMI cable -> adapter -> projector chain... Of course, I have such a beastie, so please remind me tonight at the MUG, and I'll loan it to you guys so... <sniff!> ...you can go ahead and have your little RPi party without me... <snuffle!>

I don't mind... (much!) <^8#

Nah, it's cool; I'm rockin' a 32GB & 2x16GB microSD cards, the first running NOOBS with Raspbian, LibreELEC/Kodi 17.1 Krypton, and Kalla (or whatever its name is...), and I haven't had any luck getting the game stuff to work. I'm thinking probably some kind of USB game controller or something, it doesn't appear to like my Logitech K400 keyboard for that. The other two are both clean loads of LibreELEC, another 17.1 Krypton, the other 16.1 Jarvis, which I've decided I prefer. I'd loaded up Pidora and attempted to use it, but my HDTV has heinous overscan which puts most of the working bits off the screen and makes it 'way too difficult to test...Thank GOD for the video calibration in Kodi!! <^8#

My plan is to buy a decent monitor with HDMI input AND speakers (otherwise, why bother?) before I try doing any more in-depth testing - which, of course, is impeding my ability to do any programming/futzing about with the GPIO stuff!

That said, I *have* been working on what's available *on* Kodi WRT add-ons; I've got what most should already have; Exodus, Zen, Phoenix and Specto...Fork, so there's absolutely *NO* shortfall in available movies and archival TV series, but I've been focused on *Canadian* live IPTV, which isn't nearly so easy to do. And I'm absolutely incensed that the majors out of Toronto cannot be had - CTV, CBC, City, etc., haven't worked at all, though it's relatively simple to get outlying alternatives - Yorkton, Regina, Lethbridge and Edmonton CTV feeds, for example.

Anyway, another work in progress... See you tonight! <^8#

cod3poet

Was in for a whopping 40 minutes last night but I would like to toss my hat into the ring for demoing what I do in my Dayjob and further the awesomeness that is open source in the enterprise!

A good 80% of the tools I use everyday are built around opensource technologies or at least have been empowered by it.

So I could make a short and sweet presentation of what is what. What options are there? TV / Projector?
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

As Bob was mentioning cod3poet, there is an LCD projector with a VGA and DVI input. And we have Internet access.

cod3poet

VGA it is as that is the most reliable, I'll have to see if I have a cable for it. And as there is internet access I have some items to demo that you can see on your own machines as well.

Because it's monitoring and because it's distributed does not mean that it has to be boring :)
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

We have a long VGA cable as long as you have a computer with VGA output.

Jason

Forgot to mention since you might not be aware, Brian, that the PLUG meeting is this Monday (April 3, 2017). I hope that's still okay for you doing your presentation.

Glen-VE3LIZ

Hi Guys.  In town so will be at the meeting tonight.  Will be interesting to find out what the new raspberry pi's are up to. C U there.
Glen