• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Linux Distros best for beginners

Started by Jason, March 10, 2017, 10:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Quote from: buster on April 17, 2019, 05:16:50 PM
And tested Kubuntu, same release, and felt the same way when comparing to other Plasma distros, such as Mageia, tho maybe Mageia is not for beginners. Have trouble with the menu. Tried to make it open up with a mouse hover but no luck. If you don't mind some clicks at some stages it's clear and easy.

I think that Kubuntu uses the Application Launcher by default which doesn't have cascading popup menus which is possibly why hovering didn't work for you. If you right-click the K button, choose Alternatives and then choose Application Menu, that's probably more what you want. I became so used to the giant icons in Fedora WS with Gnome that now I use the Application Dashboard which I thought horrible before. Funny how using something frequently can bias you against even things you liked recently.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

BusterE

I did not find the Alternate Widgets. That would have done what I wanted.
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

Jason

Quote from: BusterE on April 19, 2019, 02:17:47 PM
I did not find the Alternate Widgets. That would have done what I wanted.

Do you mean it wasn't installed or you just didn't know about the option? Because I don't think I did anything special to add that although I have noticed it missing in some Plasma desktops.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

I didn't know about the option. So this morning I downloaded and installed the new Kubuntu 19.04 and made the menu change. Played a bit and noticed it has the 'windows' key + arrow key to move a window to side of screen, and it has split screen and it has...

Pretty impressive. Not sure why it's way down at 44 on DW. But then we have a cornucopia of excellent distros now I guess.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on April 20, 2019, 10:07:50 AM
Pretty impressive. Not sure why it's way down at 44 on DW. But then we have a cornucopia of excellent distros now I guess.

I don't think Plasma is all that popular. I'm possibly the only person in the club who uses it as their main desktop. And that may because it has a reputation for being too complicated with too many options in settings. But I think they've made it a lot easier since the advent of Plasma. Versions 4.x were harder to use, IMHO.

buster

I think we might consider removing this thread, or putting a warning on the first page or in the title that it is quite old. And then start a new one. Many of us would consider quite a different distro after more than two years.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on May 10, 2021, 02:02:51 PM
I think we might consider removing this thread, or putting a warning on the first page or in the title that it is quite old. And then start a new one. Many of us would consider quite a different distro after more than two years.

After 30 days, every topic, even if covered before should be started with a new one. It warns the commenters that it's been 30 days since the last post and they should consider starting a new topic. I agree that we should do that. For historical reasons, I want to keep the topic and anyone seeing it should notice the date showing how old it is. That's also why we should start new topics after 30 days and old threats with outdated comments will drift to the bottom. I can lock this topic though so there aren't any more posts. I'll do that after waiting for a day in case you want to respond to this post.