• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Linux Distros best for beginners

Started by Jason, March 10, 2017, 10:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Hi guys,

I'm adding a page to the website with suggestions of good distros for Linux beginners. So far, I have Ubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Linux Mint, and Elementary OS. What do you think of those? And what do you think should be added? Let me know why you think so, too. Remember, try to think like a beginner to Linux.

Thanks!
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Haven't used it for a while, but PCLinuxOS used to be easy, solid and friendly. Bob has used it I'm pretty sur.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Yeah, I think PCLOS is a good beginner one. Why do you personally think it's good for beginners?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

I also agree with Buster, about PCLOS.
I have t fired it up in probably over a year, but I believe it was good because it tended to work properly, with all the notebook computer hardware. Especially wifi.

I believe a new version has just been issued, so I will have to boot it Live, from a USB pen drive and give it a look again.

PCLOS is I think still based on the RedHat Distro, so it was interesting working with that platform and package manager.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Used to have a win7 layout, so everything is where it would be expect it to be. It just works. Can't remember having to tinker. Lots of good help at the forum.

Since it has a rolling update, there is some complexity in the process of keeping it up to date. Not for us but for beginners. But the extensive 'knowledge base' has all this. Here is probably the most difficult procedure:

http://www.pclinuxoshelp.com/index.php/Update_Your_PCLinuxOS

ssfc72

Very good to know! Thanks Buster! :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

buster

'PCLOS is I think still based on the RedHat Distro'

Sort of. Its parent was Mandrake, its grandparent RedHat. Good genes.

Jason

Quote from: buster on March 13, 2017, 09:36:33 AM
Used to have a win7 layout, so everything is where it would be expect it to be. It just works. Can't remember having to tinker. Lots of good help at the forum.

Since it has a rolling update, there is some complexity in the process of keeping it up to date. Not for us but for beginners. But the extensive 'knowledge base' has all this. Here is probably the most difficult procedure:

http://www.pclinuxoshelp.com/index.php/Update_Your_PCLinuxOS

Hmm, the update procedure might remove it from the "beginner" category. Synaptic is a bit scary (I think) to new users of Linux. Also, I'd expect a beginner distro to at least remind you of when you need updates. Being rolling release, I also expect a LOT of updates, more than is normal for most distros. That might also be daunting to new users.

ssfc72

The instructions for an update does say, at the very end, that a person does not have to do updates. Previous releases can still be used..

buster

This is a direct quote from their website:
It is recommended that you do a proper system update as outlined below once every week or two.

It may be a problem for new users.

Linux Lite has good update software, but during the update you see text. Maybe I get asked 'yes or no'. Can't remember.

Ubuntu Mate gets my vote.

Jason

What do you guys think about MkLinux MXLinux for beginners?

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on March 13, 2017, 01:15:14 PM
The instructions for an update does say, at the very end, that a person does not have to do updates. Previous releases can still be used..

It does say that previous releases can be used but it says that in the context of it being a rolling release distribution. That is, along as you keep updating, you will always have the latest PCLOS. You don't need to download the latest ISO to upgrade. That's how I understand it.

buster

Are you just kidding around with this suggestion? MkLinux which doesn't even show up on Distrowatch? Are you playing with us Jason?

The latest date I could find is 2009.

Other than that it looks good.

Jason

buster

I used it for awhile. I  wouldn't recommend it for a few more months. Should be good soon.

By the way, it's raining here, and we have an Internet connection. So I read and write to pass the time.