• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

A Curious Man - an audio book about Mr Ripley of Ripley's Believe it or Not

Started by ssfc72, March 09, 2017, 01:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

An excellent audio/ eBook about Mr. Ripley of Ripley's Believe It or Not.

If you are an older person, you may have heard about Ripley's Believe It or Not.
I remember it when I was a youngster in the 1960's.  I believe there was a newspaper comic section which carried the Ripley's  story, every Saturday newspaper.
I believe there was a Ripley's TV show, as well.
Also, Niagara Falls, Canadian side had a Ripley's museum.

Ripley started out as a youngster who had a talent for drawing. He was from a poorer family and got a job at a San Francisco newspaper doing sports cartons.
Back in his day newspaper cartons were a very important part of a newspaper to entertain the readers and sell more newspapers.

Ripley then came up with the idea of doing cartoons about strange people and strange practices, that were found all over the world.
Ripley would go on long trips around the world to search out these strange people and write about them in his cartoon.

Ripley had a tough time, initially making a living at his profession but eventually he made a very high salary working for different newspapers
Ripley went on to become an exceedingly rich man.

This book is an excellent read about Ripley's life.  The audio and ebook are a free download loan, from your library.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Sounds cool, Bill. I've been to the museum in Niagara Falls. And in my youth, I think I had one of the books. I remember the comic strip, too.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13