• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Harris-Trump post-debate roundup

Started by Jason, September 12, 2024, 03:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Did anyone else see the debate? Thoughts?

To say Trump embarrassed himself and Harris gave him a royal spanking would be understatements.

She baited him several times and he just couldn't resist. I loved her comment about Trump rallies being small and people leaving because they were so bored. His response was gold. Can we say triggered? Yes, yes we can. And that power move with her pushing Trump into shaking her hand. OMG. I think it threw him off his game.

Unless you're a conservative, I highly recommend watching it. My wife couldn't watch outtakes because she felt so bad for Trump.

I'm not saying it will move the dial enough but she will have solidified Democrat support and the donations should be pouring in like gangbusters. She's already far ahead of him in funds. And donations are a good indicator of how committed your supporters are. His supporters aren't going to vote for Harris but some of them might stay home.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I thought she creamed him too, but as more neutral commentators mentioned, she has to get her policies out there to convince more fence sitters to vote for her. She was able to do less of that because of the air time she used to bait Trump. I listened to some post-debate interviews with undecided voters, and I was amazed at how many can let Trump go for all of his impropieties and dictatorial tendencies, just because they perceived that they were better off economically when Trump was president.
Ubuntu 24.04 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 24.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Debate seems the wrong word. But our world has lost it's way. It's become memes and arguments for candidates to win politically, not plans and policies.

It's not much above NFL football forums, where comments range from 'Miami sucks' to 'you know FA about football.' I used to read the forums sometimes, but there is no real information. The writers are miniTrumps.

I did read one beautiful comment about four years ago. 'I wish I had a lower IQ so I could enjoy this forum.'
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I appreciate hearing other opinions.

Reuters has this article about a Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted right after the debate and it had some interesting numbers. This one caught my attention:

QuoteSome 53% of Republican voters in the poll said Trump won the debate, compared to 91% of Democrats who said she was the victor. Among Republicans, 31% said no one won and 14% said Harris got the better of Trump.

And Harris leads Trump by 47%-42% nationally. I know it's the battleground states that decide it and it's still a narrow fight, most narrow in your old stomping grounds, Fox. The article notes that national polls "give important signals on the views of the electorate". I don't know what the signals are but I'll chew on that for a bit.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I think we'll have a better idea of the impact of that debate in polls that come out this week. I have no doubt that it helped Harris, even in the battleground states, but I doubt if it was enough to put any one of those states past a virtual tie. Still, it put her more firmly one the map, and she can now better explain her proposed policies in campaign speeches in those states. Her performance also raised the level of enthusiasm of Democrats that can translate into more votes with more door knocking. Let's see where we are in a few weeks.
Ubuntu 24.04 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 24.04 on Dell XPS 13