• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Intel 13th and 14th processors breaking (The Verge)

Started by Jason, July 28, 2024, 01:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Yikes! Does anyone have one of these? If you haven't experienced any issues, you might want to not use that computer until the fix comes out in August sometime. You're probably under warranty but you're going to have to get in line!

There is no fix for Intel's crashing 13th and 14th Gen CPUs — any damage is permanent
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Thanks for sharing Jason.

The article doesn't mention the year of manufacture of the "Desktop" CPU's. It apparently was in 2022 and 2023.

My question, which wasn't brought up in the article is, will this patch affect the performance of the Desktop CPU?  I kind of think it probably will!

I was sort of considering getting a newer notebook computer. Even though this issue is apparently only affecting desktop computers, I think I may wait about 6 months or a year before buying a newer notebook computer.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

William

Good thing, I'm still using 4th/5th generation cpu: i3-4170 (Linux desktop), i5-5300U (Windows laptop).

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on July 28, 2024, 04:59:11 AMMy question, which wasn't brought up in the article is, will this patch affect the performance of the Desktop CPU?  I kind of think it probably will!

I don't think they can know until after the patch is released. It probably depends on whether it's a good patch (fixes code) or a workaround.

QuoteI was sort of considering getting a newer notebook computer. Even though this issue is apparently only affecting desktop computers, I think I may wait about 6 months or a year before buying a newer notebook computer.

Wait or don't buy that generation. In my mind, 2022 is recent so a "newer" desktop for me wouldn't be that generation anyway.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

Quote from: William on July 31, 2024, 08:09:55 PMGood thing, I'm still using 4th/5th generation cpu: i3-4170 (Linux desktop), i5-5300U (Windows laptop).

Until recently, I used an i5 desktop (4th-generation) and an i3 laptop (3rd); I only upgrade when there's a need. It's good for the environment and my pocketbook! Sounds like you, too. :)

However, Windows 10 will soon be obsolete and Windows 11 requires a processor of at least 8th-generation. Unofficially, you can use less but Microsoft won't promise to support it. Also Ubuntu will be dropping some processor support, too, but they'll go back further than Microsoft.

Finally, I have an 8th-generation CPU. A 13th- or 14-generation processor is but a dream!

William

Quote from: Jason on August 04, 2024, 12:14:07 AMFinally, I have an 8th-generation CPU. A 13th- or 14-generation processor is but a dream!
Notice any difference?

Jason

Quote from: William on August 06, 2024, 01:54:32 AMNotice any difference?

It does feel faster but I think that's less about the processor and more so because it has an NVme drive. The clock speed is nearly the same but it's six-core (four-core before). But that only matters if I try to do six things simultaneously. :) I'm not.

The performance of an 8th generation is supposed to be faster because of the Spectre exploit. It was fixed in 7th or 8th-generation Intel processors. They couldn't in older processors so they have to run the fix in software. That's why Microsoft is dropping support for them in Windows 11. It's because of the security issue that can only be fixed in software slowing the computer down. At least that's what they say. Other than that issue, newer generations will only increase performance if the software is written (or compiled) to take advantage of the newer instruction set. Which Windows 11 does.

I'm not sure how Linux deals with Spectre. I hope that they are fixing the vulnerability through software, too. If anybody knows, please share. I'm too tired to read up on it. :D