• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

How do you sharpen lawn mower blade?

Started by William, May 31, 2024, 11:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William

I sharpen my lawn mower blade, after each use.  I've tried using
  • angle grinder
  • die grinder
  • rotary tool
  • file
and found that die grinder is just the right tool for the job.  Problem is, grinding bits set that I bought from Canadian Tire, Rona, and Home Depot are all off-axis and wobble as it turns. (Ridiculous!)  Except for one bit.  I've been using it so much, that I now need replacement.

I don't feel like going hunting for that right bit again.  YouTube doesn't say anything I don't know already.  Maybe, I'm doing it all wrong.  So, I'm wondering

How do you sharpen your lawn mower blade?

ssfc72

I just use a good file to sharpen the blade, unless the blade is very dull or has dents in the cutting edge.
If the blade has dings, then I use a bench grinder.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

William

I bought "flap disc" from Dollar store and will let you know how it goes soon.  Sometimes, you can find pretty good deals at Dollar stores!

Jason

We rent. I know nothing about lawnmowers or blades. One of the benefits of not owning a house. :D
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

William

Quote from: William on June 10, 2024, 09:47:13 PMI bought "flap disc" from Dollar store and will let you know how it goes soon.  Sometimes, you can find pretty good deals at Dollar stores!
I mowed the lawn today, and used this flap disc to sharpen the blade.  Yes, "flap disc" is the best way.

ssfc72

Thanks for the update William.

Do you use an electric hand drill with the flap disc?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

William

This $5 flap disc is for angle grinder.  It's cheap, so only the edge makes contact.  More expensive ones have slightly angled sand paper, so you can make more contact.  I guess, I could use sand paper bit for die grinder, if I can find one.

ssfc72

Oh, ok I know the style of flap disc you are using, now. The flap disc doesn't have a shaft, but a hole to mount on an angle grinder. :-)