• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

LocalSend - sharing files on a local network

Started by ssfc72, April 23, 2024, 04:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20240422#localsend

This open source app is apparently available for different Operating Systems and looks to be quite useful for those of you who have a mix of computers at home, that are using different OS's.

I believe Buster is one of our group, who needs to be able to transfer files to various computers, in his house.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

William

When I need to move files locally, which is seldom, I use ncat or faucet/hose on command-line.  Though it would be nice to have GUI frontend that runs on multiple OS.

buster

My method with Windows and Linux is a simple network share. I managed years ago to get Mint to see my Windows computers and I was even able to drop shortcuts on the desktop. It's possible for Windows to see Linux computers, but I was never successful in doing this. Going both ways is not necessary. From a Linux OS you can reach into a Win OS and take what you need.

My phone and tablet are not connected wirelessly. If I wish to move say an ebook, music or pictures, I use a cable. So I can get from anything to anything. But it's not often I need to cable.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Thanks William, for the info about the command line method.

Quote from: William on April 23, 2024, 06:33:36 PMWhen I need to move files locally, which is seldom, I use ncat or faucet/hose on command-line.  Though it would be nice to have GUI frontend that runs on multiple OS.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

ssfc72

So, I first tried to install LocalSend by downloading and running the appimage file. That didn't appear to install the program, even though I made the appimage file executible.

I then tried the deb file. Again that did not seem to bring up a working program.

Then I tried the FlatHub install, using the commands on the LocalSend website and that did bring up a working install of LocalSend, on my Mint Distro. :-)