• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

KDE Connect program/App

Started by ssfc72, April 20, 2024, 09:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Been playing around with this on my Mint Distro and my Android phone.
Works pretty good.

https://userbase.kde.org/KDEConnect

KDE Connect is a project that enables all your devices to communicate with each other. Here's a few things KDE Connect can do:

Receive your phone notifications on your desktop computer and reply to messages
Control music playing on your desktop from your phone
Use your phone as a remote control for your desktop
Run predefined commands on your PC from connected devices. See the list of example commands for more details.
Check your phone's battery level from the desktop
Ring your phone to help find it
Share files and links between devices
Browse your phone from your desktop
Control the desktop's volume using your phone
Send SMS from your desktop
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Thanks for mentioning this program, Bill. I've used it previously with mixed results. But that was many years ago so they were likely still working out the kinks. Zorin has a similar program that seems to work well, too.

One feature I like about programs like these is that it's much easier to type out texts with a desktop keyboard.

You can also use Google's message site to sync with your phone but it's just for texting.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Thanks for the info, Jason.

Many years ago, I used a program called MightyText
https://mightytext.net/

It worked pretty good between a computer and Android phone.
MightyText appears to only have a Windows computer program. :-(  I can't recall if I somehow got that program to work under Linux.  I don't think I would have used it under Windows.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Thanks for the reminder about MightyText. I seem to recall that Mike uses it. Google Messages runs in the browser. But it's limited in features comparatively.

Did you use the free version? You can only send 25 texts/month which is too limiting for me.

MightyText has a web app version which should work in Linux. There's also a Chrome extension. I thought it'd work under Opera, but they tell you to use the web app. I expect it would work in Brave.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Thanks Jason, I did not know about the 25 text per month limit on the free version of MightyText.
KDE Connect seems to work well for me, so I probably will continue using it.

Jason

For clarity, The limit is only for sending texts, Bill. I don't think there is any limitation on receiving them which is important for those accounts using SMS as a 2FA method.

ssfc72

Thanks Jason. That is good to know about the limit is only on sent texts.