• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Income Tax programs for 2023 filing

Started by ssfc72, April 12, 2024, 03:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Here is a Link to a website that lists the Income Tax filing programs, available for the 2023 Income Tax year.

The programs are mostly run on Windows or Android phones but the one I have been using for years, MyTaxExpress does have a downloadable file for Linux computers (even though on this website it says for Windows).
The cost of MyTaxExpress is $6.99 and if your income is less than $10,000, then the program is free.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/digital-services-individuals/netfile-overview/certified-software-netfile-program.html
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Thanks, Bill.

While I used a different program this year (because it was free for simple returns), I used MyTaxExpress last year and had no difficulties.

I couldn't log into my wife's tax account without knowing the total income in the previous return. I ran the MyTaxExpress version for the 2022 year and imported the files easily. As Bill mentions, it has versions for different tax years for Ubuntu and Debian-based Linux distros. They also say it can run under WINE but why bother?

I used Studiotax for the year before.

Previously to that TurboTax (formerly QuickTax) was my choice. All three programs are excellent, as based on previous versions although I found Turbotax the easiest. It's too bad they never raised the limit for the free version, families with disabilities are pushed beyond that.

I concur with recommending MyTaxExpress. There was one bug I noticed but it didn't affect the functioning. On one of the stubs, it listed one box twice. But it didn't cause a problem.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I finally got my Income Tax done and Efiled, using MyTaxExpress.
I had a little difficulty with the Efile Access Code not being valid. I thought the Efile Code that was input by my MyTaxExpress program was correct but I kept getting an invalid Code from Revenue Canada, when I tried to file the Return.
I had to log into my CRA account and get the Efile Code from there, and then my Return was accepted.
I think I had this same issue with last years Return using MyTaxExpress.

I then got an email saying that CRA had issued a Notice of Assessment. Luckily I again logged into my CRA account and I found that the NOA was for a few dollars more than what MyTaxExpress had calculated. So I had to pay CRA the few extra dollars.
I think I may have had this same issue last year, as well.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service