• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Total solar eclipse, April 8, Cobourg, ON

Started by ssfc72, February 28, 2024, 04:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William

Long range weather forecast says, "Mostly Sunny" for Cobourg and Port Hope area, and "Mostly Cloudy" for Toronto, Niagara, and Lake Erie side. 

Jason

Fingers crossed! I received my eclipse glasses today along with the masks. Both appear to be good quality. I shared a link to the website here and on Facebook and somebody ordered. If it was from here, thank you! They gave me a $5 discount on my next order. I didn't even know they did that.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Apparently Port Hope, which is a bit closer to Peterborough and Lindsay, will have totality for about one minute. Parking will almost for sure be a problem wherever you go.

Niagara has declared a state of emergency because of an expected one million visitors.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/canadas-niagara-region-declares-a-state-of-emergency-to-prepare-for-an-influx-of-eclipse-viewers
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

It's kind of weird. I haven't seen such excitement about an eclipse before. Maybe it's because it's covering such a huge swath of the US and Canada.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

The weather forecast for Cobourg (https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/ca/cobourg) shows about 85% cloud cover around 2 pm.

Probably I will not travel all the way to Cobourg, to try and see the Total eclipse. I will just stay here in Lindsay and see if the partial eclipse is visible.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

William

Here, Monday will be cloudy with 40% shower.  So, I'll watch via online.  Is there live YouTube channel or government site?

buster

"watch the eclipse on the Internet" in a search engine should get you many available sites. Just checked.

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on April 07, 2024, 05:54:11 AMThe weather forecast for Cobourg (https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/ca/cobourg) shows about 85% cloud cover around 2 pm.

Probably I will not travel all the way to Cobourg, to try and see the Total eclipse. I will just stay here in Lindsay and see if the partial eclipse is visible.

The weather report is disappointing. The best place to watch a partial eclipse is in Alberta this time. You better start now, Bill! ;) Even in the US, they're not expecting clear skies through most of the path.

I'd still be interested to see the nature changes in the darkness so if anyone else is going to Cobourg or anywhere along totality, please let me know. Message me if you need my phone number.

buster

3:15. Blue sky around sun. Dull light still. Turned on 2 lights in house. Appears to be heading towards dusk. Surprised me.

Can't check sun coverage. No proper specs.

STREETLIGHT across the street on!!! Eerie. 3:22.

buster

Streetlight off 3:26. Street lights farther along never came on. And now a few mentally challenged birds are singing the way they do in the morning.

Whole thing more noticeable than I thought it would be, partly because I had to put a kitchen light on while I cooked.

William

Blanket of dark clouds.  Fortunately, a light patch of cloud passed in front of sun, just in time.  Yeah, I saw the partial eclipse through the cloud.  Street lights and solar lights came on, and few birds sang.

ssfc72

The first half of the eclipse was beautiful, here in Lindsay. Then the clouds rolled in solid, at mid eclipse and that was the end of it.
I saw an excellent image trough my telescope with solar filter. I was unfortunately, not able to get my digital mirrorless, Sony camera to get any pictures using the camera lens or  through the telescope. I was unable to get the camera to produce a focused image. :-(

At mid eclipse it got quite dark, outside.

I wonder if Cobourg saw anything? The radar was indicating rain and the satellite cloud cover was showing pretty solid cloud cover.

Edit.  4 pm  Lindsay, ON  The clouds have cleared off and the eclipse is now visible again, for it's last part of it's cycle. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

You were lucky William. Where were you at the time?

William

Quote from: buster on April 08, 2024, 04:02:04 PMYou were lucky William. Where were you at the time?
At home in Mississauga where it only gets a partial eclipse, but close enough.

buster