• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

The Vast Galaxy of Linux Distributions

Started by buster, October 30, 2023, 02:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

It is possible there are too many Linux desktops, too many creators attempting to be one of the very bright stars in this universe. But maybe this generates the creativity that is needed to move forward.

There are almost 1000 distributions in Distrowatch's data base. There are only 273 that are currently active, and we know from our own experience that only a handful of these are currently used by most people, say the top 20 in hits on Distrowatch's site There are more than twice as many discontinued than there are active.

I have no suggestions, except that the 'competition' has one or two choices for its consumers, which is much more efficient in its use of talented personnel. But I like Mint Cinnamon, so I'm happy.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Indeed, it's why it's so important to let new Linux users or even prospective users know of a limited amount of popular Linux distros. Even better is to cater to what they like in a look and what their skill level with computers is, generally.

Ironically perhaps, those who have little experience with Windows are more likely to find Linux use easier. Those people will have less to unlearn to adapt to Linux.

If they're heavy smartphone or tablet users, Ubuntu might appeal more than other distros. If they need a lot of hand-holding and help, Ubuntu is probably the way to go again just because it has such wide support online, but Debian or Linux Mint has a lot of support, as well. If they don't like the vanilla Ubuntu, there are MATE, Cinnamon and Xfce flavours while still getting support for the core of Ubuntu.

If they come from the Mac world and really want to use Linux (not sure why), they'd probably enjoy elementary OS.

All in all, I think it's better to limit the mention of Linux distros to new users to just three.

The best thing about Linux is all the choices. The worst thing about Linux is all the choices.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

"The best thing about Linux is all the choices. The worst thing about Linux is all the choices."

So young and yet so wise. That's it in one sentence.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.