• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ted Lasso concludes 3rd and final season perfectly

Started by buster, June 13, 2023, 03:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

It's odd to write something on this forum that I know will be mostly ignored, but I was so impressed with this show I have to spread the word.

It can be dismissed as a sports story but it isn't really. It can be thought of as a set of romances, but this too is nowhere near the truth. It is primarily about the fact we can have perfect pictures, or books, or movies, but we can't have perfect people, and that doesn't diminish their worth.

Just finished the 12th episode of season three, and it's all over. Did a fair bit of binge viewing, and I think that's the best way to see it. Superb final show!

An award winning show, and worth the plaudits.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

buster

Just watched episode 12 again so that's 2 1/2 of bliss today. The season was a bit spotty, but the final wrap up is wonderful.

It could be watched as a stand alone if you're good with filling in missing plot lines.

Jason

I've never heard of the show before. The name sounds like a superhero.

I tried looking for it on streaming services we have and the free ones and couldn't find it. We don't have Netflix though. Was it on basic cable? Do you know? I know you probably downloaded it somewhere but did it say a premium name like HBO or whatever?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

"did it say a premium name like HBO or whatever?"

Apple TV+. It's a multi-award winning show.

Jason

Cool. Koodo has a special where you can get Apple TV, Discovery and Netflix Premium for $25 a month ($12 savings). Have been considering it but wasn't sure if Apple TV had anything on it worth watching for us.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

Jason

The words Wikipedia and summary don't belong in the same sentence. :) Every Wikipedia entry is like a book with chapters. But thanks.

I asked ChatGPT and it came up with this? Is it accurate?

Quote"Ted Lasso" is a comedy-drama TV show that premiered in 2020. The series follows the titular character, Ted Lasso, an American football coach who is hired to manage a professional soccer team in England, despite having no prior experience in soccer. Ted Lasso, played by Jason Sudeikis, brings his optimistic and folksy personality to the struggling AFC Richmond team, attempting to turn their fortunes around.

As the series progresses, Ted faces numerous challenges, including skeptical players, a hostile press, and personal issues. However, he wins over the team and the fans with his unwavering positivity, empathy, and unique coaching methods. Ted's approach emphasizes teamwork, personal growth, and the importance of character rather than just winning games.

Throughout the show, Ted forms close relationships with the team's staff, players, and the club's owner, Rebecca Welton, played by Hannah Waddingham. The series explores themes of friendship, resilience, personal redemption, and the power of a positive attitude.

"Ted Lasso" received critical acclaim for its heartwarming and feel-good storytelling, as well as its memorable characters and sharp humor. The show has been praised for its uplifting message and the way it explores deeper themes while maintaining its comedic tone. It has garnered a devoted fan base and has been recognized with several awards, including multiple Primetime Emmy Awards.

That still seemed longish to me so I asked ChatGPT for a briefer version and it came up with this:

Quote"Ted Lasso" is a comedy-drama TV show about an American football coach, Ted Lasso, who is hired to coach a professional soccer team in England. Despite having no soccer experience, Ted uses his optimism and unconventional coaching methods to win over the team and fans, while navigating personal challenges. The show emphasizes themes of friendship, resilience, and the power of positivity. It has received critical acclaim for its heartwarming storytelling and humor.

buster

"I asked ChatGPT and it came up with this? Is it accurate?"

Very good analysis.

Like all shows it has a few weak spots, but generally a tour de force. It's one connected saga about people in this specific environment, and runs about 30 episodes in total. And the story doesn't take itself too seriously. It is not an example of rigid realism, but it's pretty close to how we expect people to act. And the writers understand that their primary goal is to entertain.

There is no need to be a sports fan to enjoy it, which is worth noting. But you do need a sense of fun in your character. Rigid serious people will find it offensive and maybe shocking.