• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Suse Leap reviewed n Distrowatch

Started by buster, June 12, 2023, 12:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

It's a positive review, but as Jesse points out, openSUSE Leap will only be updated for one more year, so it doesn't make any sense to use it unless you are already doing so. I did run Leap as a secondary distro as recently as a year ago. I never had a problem with it, but the fonts were poor (especially in Firefox). I tried changing the font, but could never get it looking as nice as in Ubuntu. Also, other aesthetic elements deteriorated over the years. Their default desktop wallpaper used to be nice, but the last three or so have been quite bland.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on June 13, 2023, 07:55:18 AMIt's a positive review, but as Jesse points out, openSUSE Leap will only be updated for one more year, so it doesn't make any sense to use it unless you are already doing so.

Not sure if it was updated since you read it but the article notes:

QuoteEarlier it was thought version 15.5 might be the final release of openSUSE Leap, with support ending at the end of the 2024 calendar year. However, openSUSE announced this month there will be at least one more point release of Leap with 15.6 coming out next year and supported through to the end of 2025.

I'm guessing that openSUSE can 15.5 can be upgraded to 15.6 or am I wrong about that?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

My mistake; I should have stated "one more release". But even so, I don't see why anyone would want to go with a distro with a defined lifespan of 2 1/2 years.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

I don't know their plans but I find it hard to believe that there wont be something equivalent from Suse. Jason and I used it about a quarter century ago and there's always been a free one that wasn't a rolling release.

Ah well. I never expected to be older than 98% of the world's population either.

Jason

Quote from: fox on June 14, 2023, 07:25:52 AMMy mistake; I should have stated "one more release". But even so, I don't see why anyone would want to go with a distro with a defined lifespan of 2 1/2 years.

I feel the same about Windows 10 but that's pretty much most of the used computers out there and they won't run Windows 11 after. But there will still be Linux.

Are they still keeping Tumbleweed going, though? There's that. I'm surprisingly behind in most Linux news.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 14, 2023, 09:58:58 AMI don't know their plans but I find it hard to believe that there wont be something equivalent from Suse. Jason and I used it about a quarter century ago and there's always been a free one that wasn't a rolling release.

Ah well. I never expected to be older than 98% of the world's population either.

I'm sure there will be. If not, someone will likely fork it although I don't know if YaST is Open Source or Free (as in speech) or not.

98%? Really? Did you look this up? In any case, you should be proud to be in the top percentile! You're almost part of the 1%! :)

buster

"98%? Really? Did you look this up?"

I looked it up. It's actually more than 98%. That number is for an 80 year old.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 14, 2023, 01:01:57 PM"98%? Really? Did you look this up?"

I looked it up. It's actually more than 98%. That number is for an 80 year old.

Cool. How old are you now?

I'm 52. I guess I'm middle-aged which means I should live to be over 100, right? That'd be far too long for me.

buster

"Cool. How old are you now? I'm 52."

I was born on the day the Brits declared war on Germany, WW2. You may do the math if you are interested. Just for interest, I had two uncles born in the 1800's. My father was born quite recently, only 120 years ago.

Jason

They're no longer alive but my mom was dad was born in 1916 and my mom in 1927. Strangely, I never asked my mom what she remembered of the war years if anything. If my mom was still alive, she'd be 93. Wish she was; she died of cancer at only 60.

buster

Throwing things out, but keeping a letter from a cousin in England who is certainly dead now but who gave me a lot of information about herself.

She used to perform in pubs, concerts, and socials - accordion, keyboard, organ,and won in competitions with, wait for it, classical music on the accordion. Who knew there was such a thing?

But her biggest claim to fame is she used to tour during the war and entertain the troops. Something for the family to be  proud of I think, at least in honour of her memory.

Jason

Quote from: fox on June 13, 2023, 07:55:18 AMIt's a positive review, but as Jesse points out, openSUSE Leap will only be updated for one more year, so it doesn't make any sense to use it unless you are already doing so.

While it's true that support for the 15.6 version will end in December 2024, Leap isn't necessarily over although perhaps the name might change. Each version of openSUSE is based on SLES (Suse Linux Enterprise Server) and SLES 16 isn't out yet although it's likely to have major changes. From what I've read elsewhere, it sounds like the openSUSE team has to decide if they're going to incorporate those changes or continue the distro from 15.6 instead of using SLES. Remember that openSUSE isn't owned or run by SUSE. It's a separate entity. From the lion's mouth:

QuoteSince the roadmap of the Leap 15 successor is not known yet, as of now we can't say if the very last Leap 15.X release will have the extended 6 months overlap or not.

Source: https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime