• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu Cinnamon

Started by Jason, May 01, 2023, 06:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Did anyone else happen to notice that there is now a Ubuntu flavour based on Cinnamon?

https://ubuntucinnamon.org/#about
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Yes, of course I did. I didn't get too excited about it; looks too PC-like. However, it can be fixed to look more like Gnome, and I did that on my Mint partition.  ;)
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Did you mean to say 'Windows-like'? I hope you're not becoming a hardware bigot! :D

Cinnamon is actually a spin-off from the discontinued Gnome 2, as is MATE. Oh, the irony!

I just thought it was interesting. I hadn't seen Cinnamon used anywhere else. It says a lot that the Linux Mint team made a desktop environment for which Canonical gave their stamp of approval.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

I stand corrected; Windows-like. I might be a hardware bigot, but I'm not bigoted against all PCs. After all, my laptop is a Dell xps 13.

While Cinnamon is a spinoff from Gnome 2, the default configuration is quite different. Gnome 2 has its menu at the top of the display; same with Mate, I think. However the menus are similar, other than location.

Jason

Quote from: fox on May 03, 2023, 01:38:07 PMI stand corrected; Windows-like. I might be a hardware bigot, but I'm not bigoted against all PCs. After all, my laptop is a Dell xps 13.

While Cinnamon is a spinoff from Gnome 2, the default configuration is quite different. Gnome 2 has its menu at the top of the display; same with Mate, I think. However the menus are similar, other than location.

Nothing wrong with disliking PCs. Some days I hate them and just want to get a Mac for ease of use. They may cost more (at least the lower/middling ones) but they do have a reputation for no-nonsense. And I like the look of Mac OS, honestly. And for certain clients, I'd suggest they get a Mac honestly. They're the ones who get so infected with viruses and the like that their computer slows to a crawl. They often just buy new PCs because they think it's slow because it's gotten too old. Seriously.

I know it's not the same as Gnome 2. But both it and MATE were designed for people who disliked the new look. The same people probably hated Windows 8 for the same reason.

I was a Gnome user once, even going back to the initial release. Always preferred KDE though (it was known as just KDE then). But I loved the way Gnome looked and they included some interesting applications like Evolution (remember this Outlook alternative?).

fox

Quote from: Jason on May 04, 2023, 03:37:55 PM.... I loved the way Gnome looked and they included some interesting applications like Evolution (remember this Outlook alternative?).

Evolution is still there, but not installed by default. I think it's a good application too, but it needs a facelift.