• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Remembering Gordon Lightfoot - a good CBC podcast

Started by ssfc72, May 20, 2023, 07:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

A good CBC 1hr 15 minute podcast about the great Canadian songwriter/singer.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-50-q/clip/15982061-remembering-gordon-lightfoot

Q's Tom Power and Commotion's Elamin Abdelmahmoud co-host this special tribute in remembrance of Gordon Lightfoot (Rainy Day People, Sundown, If You Could Read my Mind). The acclaimed singer-songwriter died on Monday night at age 84, ending a career that spanned more than five decades, and included honours such as the Order of Canada and an induction into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. Tom and Elamin talk to some of his closest friends and listen to his legendary music.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Thanks for the info about it, Bill. I will probably listen. And I'll report back here when I do.

My mom liked Gordon Lightfoot originally so I found out about him through her. I enjoy many of his songs as I'm sure do most Canadians. There's just something about his voice that is so... original, and calming.

The Railroad Trilogy will forever be my favourite. I love the history behind the Canadian railroads and their importance in linking the country. We're probably the only nation in the world with a railroad written into our constitution. BC was willing to join only with a promise of a railroad to link it to Eastern Canada and it's right in there.

Amazing that he didn't stop touring unless his health wavered. I don't think you can say that about a lot of singers, or any. There was a guy who loved performing so much that he didn't retire until the very end.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Canadian Railroad Trilogy is also my favourite Gordon Lightfoot song. At one point I had all the lyrics memorized. Even now I remember at least half of them.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

There didn't seem to be any way to download and save the podcast, for listening to, when I have some free time.

So I have posted a Tip on the Forums, about how to record the podcast or any other audio output from the computers speakers, with a Linux Distro.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service