• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Anyone selling a used PC?

Started by Jason, May 04, 2023, 03:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

A friend of mine is looking to buy a new PC and expects she'll just have to spend $300-400. While that's possible, I'm trying to convince her that a better quality used PC will perform just as well, possibly even better (due to quality, parts, etc) and save her money.

And she really does everything on the web. Even a computer 10 years old is going to be better than what she has.

I put Linux on her computer and she seems happy with it. She had Windows 8 so I would have gone with Ubuntu but it'd be too slow, I think. So I put Ubuntu MATE on it. She just wanted me to move the bar from the top to the bottom.

She does need a bigger monitor due to declining eyesight. I think everyone but maybe codpoet and Scott will understand that. :)

Is anybody selling a used PC in that price range of reasonable quality and/or a monitor of 22" or above?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

William

Have considered laptop or chromebook?  I don't recommend chromebook, since I have one and hate it.  But, your friend may fit its use-case.  I recommend a used laptop, then you have choice of Windows or Linux.

Jason

Thanks for the suggestions, William. She needs a larger screen than 17" and I haven't seen laptops with a larger screen than that. I know you can plug in a larger monitor but she doesn't seem interested in that idea, possibly because she wouldn't know how to connect/disconnect it from external devices like the monitor. Same deal with Chromebook.

She likes the idea of an all-in-one but I suggested they weren't a good idea since if the computer part goes, you have a useless display you can't use for anything else and the same if the display dies.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13