• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Easy Upgrade from Linux Mint 20.3 to 21

Started by buster, March 14, 2023, 04:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Easy but frightening. It is slow and for me hair-raising at times, but I've leaned to have faith in every single Linux thing, most of the time. Half way through it lost the Internet, couldn't find all the packages it needed to get rid of, and just sat there staring at me. So I did the only sensible thing I could think of and went away while it did nothing - no flashing red light on the computer case.

When I came back after awhile there was a sign on the desktop which guided me. Everything worked, but I avoided going straight through to 21.3 because there is a warning that it might leave the computer unbootable. Probably rare, but......

Great little gizmo they've made for the upgrade, but be prepared to let it work:

https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/upgrade-to-mint-21.html
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Thanks for the upgrade Tips, Buster. Good to know.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Upgraded from 21 to 21.1 Surprisingly smooth and quick.

This particular system has gone through a number of upgrades over the years without problems or a fresh install.

Marilyn's system is a perfect example of why Linux Mint Cinnamon is the top desktop in the universe.

And I'm sure everyone will agree with me.

ssfc72

I don't know, the IBM WARP OS desktop is pretty nice! :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

"I don't know, the IBM WARP OS desktop is pretty nice! :-)"

And it's still under development!
https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/19/retro_tech_week_arca_os/

Jason

OS/2 used to be used on bank machines. It's probably still used on some although I think they moved to a special version of Windows, Windows CE, I believe, I think that's what it was called. KCC used to have a member that was a huge fanboy of OS/2, Cedric Silvester. Actually, he started KCC along with his wife and a few others a long time ago. Cedric came to a PLUG meeting once and presented LVM. He did use Linux instead of Windows for servers. He used to call Windows, Winbloze; Outlook, Lookout, etc.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13