• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Income Tax programs for Tax year 2022

Started by ssfc72, March 07, 2023, 03:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I downloaded the Linux version of MyTaxExpress for 2022. It installed fine on my Mint 20.x Distro. I was able to import the identification information from page 1 of last years 2021 MyTaxExpress forrm.

I did find that surprisingly, I was not able to get the 2021 MyTaxExpress program that was installed on my computer, to run. I went and downloaded the 2021 MyTaxExpress program again, and the program then worked. I guess the version of Mint Linux that I  am currently using, is no longer able to run the version of MyTaxExpress, that I had installed last year.

I downloaded the Windows version of StudioTax (there is no Linux version) and like last year the program ran but most of the text was missing on the pages, so StudioTax was not usable using Wine with Linux.
I see from last years posting, that i did eventually get StudioTax to run properly under Linux. I will have to use the same work arounds for this years StudioTax and see if I can get it to work under Linux.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

" I will have to [see] if I can get it to work under Linux."

With this running in Linux can you ask it to go to your personal site at the tax office and download all your T3s, T4s etc and install them into your tax return to save all the work of entering the numbers? 

Depends how many there are of course but it's a big time saver for us.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Yes, I think I was able to do that last year, with the Income Tax program. I only was left with inputting my Donations.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

ssfc72

Ok, I tried to install StudioTax2022 on my notebook that is running MXLinux.

At first I ran into the same problem as on my Mint20 notebook.  The install came up with a small window which had the installation screen but most of the text was missing, so it was useless to be able to install.
I then tried a few things and I did eventually get a successful installation done.

I tried installing StudioTax using the Bottles program but that did not help.
I found in Synaptic that the program Winetricks was not installed on the notebook, so I installed the WineTricks program. That did not help either.

I then decided to right click on the StudioTax exe and I chose to execute using WINE.  This time I got the same small installation window but this time I could see all the text in the installation window.
The text was extremely small and very light coloured text but I could barely read the text and I was able to complete the install. I think I did a restart of the Distro, as well so that may have helped?

The StudioTax program then came up and it appears to be fine to read and use. :-)

Jason

Thanks for reporting your experiences and workaround, Bill.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I have now completed filing my 2022 Income Taxes Return using the MyTaxExpress software program, with my Mint Distro. Cost of the software was $7.

I ran into a few snags with the software.

With the software I was able to import some of the repetitious text from the 2021 MyTaxExpress Return.
Unfortunately the Netfile Access Code that is required on page 1 on the tax Return, was imported (which is wrong for the 2022 Tax Return).
When I tried to efile my tax return to the CRA, the efile failed and gave me not much help as to why it failed.
Luckily I did remember about the importing of last years Return information and I had to log onto my CRA account and find the last NOA (Notice of Assessment letter), to get the correct Netfile Access Code.

I also had to erase the imported Notes from my 2021 Return, from the 2022 Tax program.
The Notes were a detailed list of my money donations I made to charities/hospitals for 2021 and I had to make a new Note for the 2022 Donations.

The importing of my tax slips from the CRA website, to my tax program, went without a problem.

fox

I would say that your experience was pretty successful, and $7 is not much of a price to pay, especially if you can do it on Linux. The bit about the Netfile Access Code is a pain. I ran into the same problem using the TaxFreeway software, except that it left the access code blank when it imported my 2021 data. I don't know why they have to change that number every year.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13