• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Two new desktop environments

Started by fox, July 07, 2023, 07:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

I found this article interesting. It talks about two new desktop environments that run in Debian. Neither is complete or 100% functional, but both are actively being developed and can be run in Debian. One, called Lomiri, is not very functional yet. This one is based on Unity 8 that was dropped by Canonical. The other, called GSDE (The GNUstep Desktop) is mostly functional, but takes some Linux knowledge to install. The latter is based on NeXTstep, a precursor to the modern MacOS, but looks nothing like the MacOS. There is a picture of it in the article. Both have interesting elements, and it's nice to have alternatives to try. Take a look. What do you think?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I've always thought the one thing that Linux lacked was enough desktop environments. I think we're almost there. :D

I've been using Linux since 1996. I remember GNUstep. The screenshot looks exactly like how I remember it. It was a surprisingly modern-looking desktop for the time and came as one of the choices with either Red Hat or Linux Mandrake. I don't think I used it often, but it was fun to play with.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

The GSDE desktop looks nice to me.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service