• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Raspberry Pi alternatives (YouTube)

Started by Jason, February 17, 2023, 09:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

If you've been trying to get a Raspberry Pi at a reasonable price without success, take a look at this YouTube video by Linux Tech Tips goes through a roundup of alternatives to the Raspberry Pi 4. While the video is about 15 minutes in length it seems quicker with Linus's rapid-fire delivery. The video is also broken down by SBC (Single Board Computer) model in the description so you can hop to what you're most interested in.  From what I understand the alternatives are capable of running either some Linux distributions or the Raspberry Pi OS specifically. If your interest leans towards the Orange Pi, check out Bill's topic about the Orange Pi 5 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJvCVw1yONQ

What alternative, if any, interests you the most?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

William

You basically have 3 choices:

• Odroid
  • BeagleBone Black
  • Raspberry Pi
because they are the only ones with vendor support for OS firmware.

Jason

Quote from: William on February 18, 2023, 07:10:08 AM
You basically have 3 choices:

• Odroid
  • BeagleBone Black
  • Raspberry Pi
because they are the only ones with vendor support for OS firmware.

If that's your concern, sure, I guess. It's not something I've ever considered. But when you say vendor support, do you mean tech support or updates

The OS firmware on the SBCs is updated from two others I checked for - the Orange Pi and the Rock Pi. Vendors usually don't offer much tech support anyway. Unless you're an OEM buying in volume. They're not going to give you much help for a $25-100 device, at least not at the level needed for most people playing with these.

What kind of support are you looking for? Are you doing special products with these SBCs?

i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

kalabaster

I would also draw your attention to a YouTuber that runs the " Explaining Computers channel. His name is Christopher Barnett and he is an instructor of computer studies in the UK. His reviews are verrrry concise and easy to understand. I have been considering a SBC outfit but there have been some shortages which have led to price increases. As time goes on I am drifting more towards Intel-based MAC systems. Mainly for the quality of the hardware and ease of use. I am intrigued however with some of the 6-core SBC's that have been introduced.    Cheers.
MACbook Pro 1501, Catalina| ASUS ROG Crosshair AMD PCLinux | HP AIO Elite, Win 10 Pro| HP Folio 14, Win 10 Pro| ASUS M32CD, PCLinux/Trinity

fox

Must Intel-based Mac systems run Linux very well. I'm typing this on one. But I also had Ubuntu running on two Mac minis, a MacBook Pro and two older iMacs (2010 and 2011). The only problem I ever had on an Intel Mac was on my 2015 iMac, which for some reason took 4 minutes to boot up Ubuntu. Even that one ran a version of Linux Mint with a particular kernel (can't remember the kernel number) like a champ.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13