• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Raspberry Pi4 now in stock at pishop.ca

Started by ssfc72, September 27, 2023, 08:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

That's great to see them back in stock, and it doesn't look like the price has risen, either. However, the highest RAM model presently in stock is the 4gb, which I already have. Not that I would buy the 8 at this point. It will be interesting to see what improvements eventually come to the rPi 5!.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

fox

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

fox

The Pi 5 is now available for pre-order, at least for the 4 gb unit:
Here.

ssfc72

Thanks Mike.  Pre order price for the 4G is $84.

Then the Pi 5 needs a higher wattage power supply, $17, wall wart (pre order), than the Pi 4.

Also you probably would want to get the active cooler for it (pre order), $7

fox

Yes, but from the reviews I've been reading, the Pi 5 is worth it if you going to use it as an actual home computer. I don't plan to pre-order, but I think I will buy one when they are actually available - either the 4 or 8 gb model.

buster

"Yes, but from the reviews I've been reading, the Pi 5 is worth it if you going to use it as an actual home computer. I don't plan to pre-order, but I think I will buy one when they are actually available - either the 4 or 8 gb model."

Bill, I think maybe you set up something with a video camera. Was it a Pi? I am wondering if anyone in the club uses one of these mini-mini-computers to do day-to-day work, or are they more of a hobby?
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Yes, the program for the RPi is called MotionEyeOS. It is a video surveilance program for the RPi that you use a basic inexpensive usb computer video camera with.
MotionEye is no longer being supported by the person that developed it, so I don't know if it will work for the RPi 5, when it becomes available.

Quote from: buster on October 05, 2023, 10:56:47 AM"Yes, but from the reviews I've been reading, the Pi 5 is worth it if you going to use it as an actual home computer. I don't plan to pre-order, but I think I will buy one when they are actually available - either the 4 or 8 gb model."

Bill, I think maybe you set up something with a video camera. Was it a Pi? I am wondering if anyone in the club uses one of these mini-mini-computers to do day-to-day work, or are they more of a hobby?