• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Orange Pi 5 SBC - a nice youtube video about this SBC

Started by ssfc72, February 08, 2023, 04:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHQ1GpYRHPo

An interesting video on this SBC.  Runs Ubuntu and Debian.
It is from China. The 8 Gb model is currently around $126 CDN  plus $16 shipping from Amazon.ca or Aliexpress.

There are also some RISC V  based SBC that are on Youtube, that look interesting but their prices seem too high to compete with the RPI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykKnc86UtXg

The Raspberry Pi boards still seem to be not in stock
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Thanks for posting that. I watched the video and the performance seemed impressive. The one major downside is no wifi, but I assume a usb wifi dongle would remedy that. I wonder how compatible it is with software and hardware made for the rPi? That would be a key feature for me. Not that I need one; I have an rPi 4B 4gb model that I bought at a reasonable price before they started disappearing.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Yes, for wifi you would just need to use a usb wifi dongle.
I believe the Orange Pi needs it's own specific software programs. Currently the Ubuntu and Debian Distros have been made to run on it, so you should be able to browse the internet with a ubuntu web browser.
I don't think any Pi software programs would run on the Orange Pi 5. Someone would have to write specific programs for the Orange Pi,  which I think will happen at some point.

I would consider buying a Orange Pi 5, just to play around with it. 
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Sounds interesting, Bill. Thanks for sharing. I still have a Raspberry Pi 800 on my wish list. :) And I checked, it is called a Raspberry Pi 800, not just Pi 800. It's one of the two models they have where it's built into a keyboard like home computers of the 70s and 80s. It'd be nostalgic for me. I'd even love to put an emulator of a Radio Shack TRS-80 or Sinclair ZX81 on it. Maybe even a Texas Instruments TI-99 4/A. I miss those days but then I was a kid and everything was new and fun.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13