• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Looking at a new prepaid cellphone service provider

Started by ssfc72, January 19, 2023, 09:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

No, I can't be bothered. I don't listen to the robocall message, I just hit the delete key once I hear the message is from someone that I don't have any business with.
The school board should figure it out eventually.

Quote from: Jason on May 05, 2023, 01:38:50 PMDid you try calling the school board, Bill? I'm sure they'd happily remove you from the list and you'd be doing them a favour since they're likely paying an outside company to do those calls.

I'm surprised the Robocall itself didn't leave information about how to get removed from the list.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Quote from: Jason on May 05, 2023, 01:41:55 PMPerhaps that's because you're not paying by auto-payment? Bill noted that was why he got the data. Surprised you're not getting free incoming calls, though.

Nope. I have been on autopayment for several years. I'm sure he got the extra data because it's a promotion to get new customers. In my case, they will give me extra data (double what Bill gets) if I upgrade from a $15/mo to a $25/mo prepaid. (Goes down to $21/mo if I sign up for 360 days.) The higher plan is worth it for me because I now pay $30 for a "booster" that gives me 1 GB of data; though unlike the data that comes with a prepaid, unused data carries over past the month. I buy 2-3 of these boosters annually, so that's $60-90 ($5-8/mo). I wouldn't need these boosters anymore, so the upgrade pays for itself. Then there is the "booster" for telephone minutes; $25 for 500 minutes. I rarely use my mobile for phone calls (I have a home phone), so I would never need to buy another phone minute booster. Assuming I use one of these per year, that's another $2/mo I wouldn't have to spend. So by upgrading, I get more of everything for less money, and under those circumstances, I would use my mobile more regularly for phone calls. Maybe I would even stop my home phone service?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

William

Quote from: ssfc72 on May 05, 2023, 06:58:27 AMEdit.  I went with Koodo prepaid, for $15 a month. They have a store at the mall in Lindsay, so I was able to talk with a person and they changed out the SIM and set the phone up for using with the Koodo service.

Unlimited incoming voice calls and 100 minutes per month of outgoing calls.
Unlimited texting sending and receiving
250 MB per month of Data when you sign up for automatic topup.

Thanks for the info.  I have $5/month Rogers prepaid (free incoming texts, 250 outgoing texts, $0.75 fee 911, no data, incoming/outgoing voice per minute) and $10/month Teksavvy home phone.  I can consolidate them and get more features.