• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Mint apt-get autoremove - recovered 13 GB of SSD drive space

Started by ssfc72, April 05, 2023, 10:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Today, the Mint update manager showed that a had a few updates, that could be done.
So I started the updates and it took about 15 minutes or more to finish.  There was a wack of older .img files that it had to chug through.

So I ran the, sudo apt-get autoremove command and it showed that 13 GB of programs would be removed. Yikes, that is a lot of SSD space that I got back. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

That's quite a bit of space recovered!

The kernels can really add up if they're not being removed. And I seem to recall that Linux Mint left them around. MX Linux or maybe Linux Lite had a tool for removing old kernels.

Buster: "Multi hard drives in the old days. Amazing."

Huh? I'm not making the connection here.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Quote from: Jason on April 06, 2023, 09:34:48 PM
The kernels can really add up if they're not being removed. And I seem to recall that Linux Mint left them around. MX Linux or maybe Linux Lite had a tool for removing old kernels.

Ubuntu removes them pretty much automatically after a kernel update. I keep the current kernel and the previous one, and following a kernel update, the updater offers to remove the oldest of the three.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Good to know about Ubuntu not allowing old kernals to be left on the hardrive. That's a plus for Ubuntu over Mint.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

"Buster: "Multi hard drives in the old days. Amazing."

Huh? I'm not making the connection here."

Mid 80's hard drives were about 20 megabytes. Didn't bother to look up early 90's.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on April 07, 2023, 09:01:01 AM
"Buster: "Multi hard drives in the old days. Amazing."

Huh? I'm not making the connection here."

Mid 80's hard drives were about 20 megabytes. Didn't bother to look up early 90's.

Ah, I see. But what's a multi hard drive? Was that brand? I didn't know you used PCs back then. So you've always been a bit of a geek, huh?

I got an XT-compatible in 1988 with 640 KB of RAM. That was 10x the amount of RAM I had on my home computer at the time. I seem to recall one was 40 MB and the other 10. But DOS at the time couldn't see a drive as big as 40 MB, so there was special software that. I think it was called, appropriately, Disk Manager. It even had a CGA card originally. It had 16 colours, but you could only see 1 of 4 sets of 4 at any time and they were garish options. Imagine seeing cyan, magenta, white and something else on the screen at once. At 320 x 200, no less!

Maybe it's just nostalgia from being a kid, but computers seemed a lot more fun then, especially so when using the non-PC home computers where you typed in programs from magazines and saved them on cassette tape. I'm sure Bill knows what I'm talking about as do a few members here while others weren't even born then!
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13