• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Freetube - Linux YouTube client

Started by Jason, December 27, 2022, 06:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Normally I put up with non-tracking ads on websites and was on YouTube since the ads pay for the content. But they're getting out of control. Probably to push you into getting YouTube premium; the same strategy Spotify uses. No more.

Here's a Linux program that gets around it the ad problem. Freetube. It blocks ads and doesn't require you to log in. That way, your privacy is protected.

It's not difficult to import your subscriptions either. You export the YouTube data as a .csv file and then import it using a link in the program. I've only been using it for a few hours but it seems to work well. They do warn it's beta so stuff might break or not work completely yet. For Pop OS, it was in the software manager so I'm thinking it's probably in the Ubuntu repos. But there are other versions for Linux at the link below. It also has versions for Windows and Mac. And of course, it's free.

https://freetubeapp.io

If you use it, let me know how it goes.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Neat, thanks for the info and Link, Jason.

I never log into YouTube(Google) to watch anything on YouTube.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I downloaded FreeTube and it does work. To get my YouTube subscriptions into it, I had to open them on YouTube and copy the urls to FreeTube. One problem with it is that when you get a link to a YouTube video that you want to watch, you can't just click on it and open it in FreeTube. (Or if you can, I don't know how to set this.) So to watch it on FreeTube, you have to copy it, open the app, and paste it into the url box. Extra steps; not sure if it's worth it.

I gather that FreeTube only works as an app; in other words I can't get it up as a url link in a browser like I can YouTube. There is a FreeTube site, but it appears to only facilitate the downloading of the app.

One other thing. When I open FreeTube, I get a page related to my subscription settings. When I open YouTube, I get a bigger variety of stuff related to my interests that don't just include videos from my subscriptions. I prefer the latter. Is there a way to set the opening window of FreeTube to do what YouTube does?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

William

I'm using "AdBlocker Ultimate" add-on in Firefox.  And, it's pretty good in blocking out ads, even in YouTube.

ssfc72

FreeTube works very nicely on Mint 21. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

William

I just tried "portable" version of FreeTube.  It works on Slackware-15.

Jason

Quote from: William on December 28, 2022, 09:59:47 PM
I'm using "AdBlocker Ultimate" add-on in Firefox.  And, it's pretty good in blocking out ads, even in YouTube.

Cool. Vivaldi does it at its highest settings (likely Firefox and Brave do, too) without a plug-in. But there's still the privacy aspect.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on December 28, 2022, 02:36:49 AM
Neat, thanks for the info and Link, Jason.

I never log into YouTube(Google) to watch anything on YouTube.

So you subscribe to anything? How do you keep track of new videos from contact creators you like? Bookmarks to them? Just curious.

Jason

Quote from: fox on December 28, 2022, 07:29:20 AM
I downloaded FreeTube and it does work. To get my YouTube subscriptions into it, I had to open them on YouTube and copy the urls to FreeTube. One problem with it is that when you get a link to a YouTube video that you want to watch, you can't just click on it and open it in FreeTube. (Or if you can, I don't know how to set this.) So to watch it on FreeTube, you have to copy it, open the app, and paste it into the url box. Extra steps; not sure if it's worth it.

I'm assuming you learned how to import the subscriptions from their help page? It refers to some plug-ins that it's compatible with like Privacy Redirect. I haven't tried it yet.

QuoteOne other thing. When I open FreeTube, I get a page related to my subscription settings. When I open YouTube, I get a bigger variety of stuff related to my interests that don't just include videos from my subscriptions. I prefer the latter. Is there a way to set the opening window of FreeTube to do what YouTube does?

I'm not sure. That variety depends on your watching data. Freetube would have to collect this information to give you a similar list or at least scan your subscriptions list. I think they're trying to avoid that.

Jason

Quote from: William on December 29, 2022, 07:06:21 PM
I just tried "portable" version of FreeTube.  It works on Slackware-15.

Cool! Is that your preferred distro still, William?

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on December 29, 2022, 08:22:02 AM
FreeTube works very nicely on Mint 21. :-)

Nice! You should post your thoughts on the newest version of Mint, sometime. I've heard some good scuttlebutt about it.

William

Quote from: Jason on January 01, 2023, 04:04:01 AM
Cool! Is that your preferred distro still, William?
Yes.  I was going to switch to Kubuntu, but the hassle of switching is still greater than the benefit

Jason

Quote from: William on January 03, 2023, 12:45:38 AM
Yes.  I was going to switch to Kubuntu, but the hassle of switching is still greater than the benefit

Can you install Plasma on Slackware? Or is it crazy complicated? Last I recall, Slackware didn't have a package manager, at least not like other distros (i.e. didn't handle dependencies).

buster

"Yes.  I was going to switch to Kubuntu, but the hassle of switching is still greater than the benefit"

A man after my own heart. I hate hassle. But I have used Kubuntu for ages and like it. Mint is easy to work with too, and it's on Marilyn's desktop. Be nice if you had a second computer and you could make the changes on the 2nd computer gradually and copy some data over time. Do it in your spare moments while still using your regular one.

And then it's done. But two computers cost money.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

William

Quote from: Jason on January 03, 2023, 09:24:53 AM
Can you install Plasma on Slackware? Or is it crazy complicated? Last I recall, Slackware didn't have a package manager, at least not like other distros (i.e. didn't handle dependencies).
Slackware comes with 2 desktops, KDE (default) and XFCE, which you can choose on SDDM login screen.  Since my core apps are Konsole, Firefox, Thunderbird, I really don't feel the urgency to switch.