• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Mac OS - like file manager?

Started by Jason, November 10, 2022, 10:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

The file manager that comes with elementary OS is unusual when compared to those in other Linux desktop environments. It has the typical file listing preferences of most other file managers but it also has the option to view contents as columns. You click on a folder, and it shows the folders inside that one in the first column. Then you click on another folder and it shows its contents in the next column and so on.

The attached screenshot explains it better. I'm hoping the Macheads can weigh in on this. Is this similar to how the file manager works in Mac OS? In any case, I like it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Yes, it is similar, and I like it better than Gnome Files. I'm unhappy with Gnome Files right now, as the newest version doesn't have column views (yet) and the spacing of icons in List View and Grid View is ridiculously large.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I wish I knew the name of it and then maybe you could find it elsewhere and perhaps install it under Gnome. As you can see in the screen capture, there is no drop-down menu or 'about' button. It doesn't have this feature, but you could look at installing the Plasma file manager, Dolphin. It would have to likely install some Plasma base files but it might be worth it. It has a lot more features than the Gnome file manager. You can use Timeshift to make a system image before you install it in case it messes up your distro.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

I like Dolphin - Mint and Kubuntu use it.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.