• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ed Broadbent, former NDP leader, dead at 87 (CBC)

Started by Jason, January 11, 2024, 04:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I'm no doubt biased in my estimation that one of the best leaders of a political party in Canada passed away today.

Even when I wasn't an NDP supporter, I liked him. He was very personable; it was said that he'd be the kind of man you'd have a beer with. He had a strong sense of social justice. He was a worthy opponent but never meanspirited in facing down several PMs of the Liberal and Conservative stripes. He led the NDP to the largest contingent of elected NDP MPs (43 in 1988) before Leader Jack Layton in 2011.

He founded a left-wing organization, the Broadbent Institute, to counter disinformation from the right-wing Fraser Institute and returned as an NDP MP for a couple of years under Leader Jack Layton. Unusual for Canadian politics, he served as an MP under several NDP leaders (McLaughlin, McDonough, Layton) after stepping down as a leader. I hope I'm not alone in saying that Canada has lost a great one.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ed-broadbent-dies-1.7080936
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

You are not alone. I remember Ed Broadbent as a progressive and fair man, who was a gentleman and worked well with others. I haven't heard his name for a long time until he passed away, but I agree with you about him being one of the best leaders of a political party in Canada.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Layton and Broadbent seem far above many of those in politics today.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.