• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Pop OS Video Review by the Linux Experiment

Started by Jason, November 14, 2022, 10:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

If you've wondered what makes Pop OS distinct from Ubuntu, as I have, watch this video. It's from the Linux Experiment. I've previously shared videos from him. While this one is 20 minutes long, you'll find links below it to specific sections.

Normally, I'm not a fan of Gnome-based distributions, but Pop OS has piqued my curiosity. I'm specifically intrigued by its tiling window manager feature and software manager. But there is more to admire. The Linux Experiment's review is thorough while still engaging.

View it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs4QRBm0C_8
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

It is a good video, and does a good job at explaining features that Pop_OS has that Ubuntu doesn't. One of its nice features is the window tiling manager; something I would probably use if it was on Ubuntu. I have tried Pop_OS before and I don't care for its aesthetic. I know one can switch a lot of that around, but at present, I'm happier with Ubuntu's implementation of the desktop experience.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Trying out Pop OS now. I like it enough to stick with it. That's something I couldn't say with Ubuntu. I was looking for a distribution that was less distracting than one with, say Plasma.

I tried Elementary OS previously, which was elegant but it failed for me in two major ways and one lesser way:

1. Lack of support for a desktop that you could put icons on.
2. No task tray. I have a couple of background programs and I can't really check their status without this feature.
3. Didn't let me install .deb files graphically. You can do it in the terminal bit in this case, it's inefficient.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

I have downloaded PopOS before, so I will have to try it out again.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

One other thing I liked is that both elementary OS and Pop OS detected my HP printer right away. I didn't have to configure anything. I could just start printing.

ssfc72

Thanks Jason for mentioning that PopOS automatically found your HP printer.
I will have to see if it detects my Brother printer.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service