• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Split screen on Edge

Started by buster, October 07, 2023, 01:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Managed to acquire some modest parts which I have assembled into a very ordinary desktop: 10 gig modern ram, 6 core AMD CPU, 4 terabyte ssd attached flat on motherboard,video card with fans on both sides and a handle on top to lift it out. The usual. Boot time is at least a full second.

Tried Edge on the Win10Pro (can go to 11) and loved the shortcut above the window that gives us a browser with a vertically spit window.

In one window watched Fleetwood Mac perform the remastered (2004) rendition of Dreams, and put the lyrics in the other. Attached speakers to the computer and cranked her up. Awesome until Marilyn came home.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Sooo, you woke up from your dream, when Marilyn appeared in the dream?? :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Maybe more on the computer later. AMD Ryzen 5 5600x6-core:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-5600x

Jason

4 TB SSD? Jealous. Be handy for full partition backups. Unless you're planning on gaming or saving a thousand movies, you probably won't come close to using it. I love that you described the video card as having a fan on each side. I have that same brand. It's amazing!  ;)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Moved up to Win 11. Quick. Got a picture for desktop, at least for a while. We'll see. Win 11 impressive so far.

Sorry for all the Microsoft stuff. Does the desktop show?

ssfc72

Yes, the Desktop is shown.
Does the computer still boot in less than 1 second?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

"Does the computer still boot in less than 1 second?"

It used to boot straight into the desktop, but I now have a password protected entry into the operating OS because I'm probably going to connect it to my local network. So it's hard to say, except the longest part of the start is my typing.

It handled the upgrade with surprising speed, and the computer is still as fast as before.

buster

Made a mistake describing ram. It has 16 gig, not 10.

Jason

Nice processor. 6 cores, 12 threads. If you find it too shabby, I'd be happy to take it off your hands - no charge! After all, it says it's made for gaming, and you don't game so it's wasted on you. ;)

I bet it'd really fly under Linux. :)
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

" After all, it says it's made for gaming, and you don't game so it's wasted on you. ;)"

I know that what you say is absolutely true, and I fully agree. I would not hesitate giving it to you, except my son was here on Thanksgiving, and we worked on the computer together, so that changes things. It now is one of those sentimental things that connects us, and he would be disappointed if I parted with it.

So, reluctantly, I'll keep it.

Jason

Quote from: buster on October 14, 2023, 04:39:08 PM" After all, it says it's made for gaming, and you don't game so it's wasted on you. ;)"

I know that what you say is absolutely true, and I fully agree. I would not hesitate giving it to you, except my son was here on Thanksgiving, and we worked on the computer together, so that changes things. It now is one of those sentimental things that connects us, and he would be disappointed if I parted with it.

That's nice of you to consider it but I was totally joking! I received my computer for free, too, so I'm lucky to have what I have. And I can most of the games I want to right now as I have a decent graphics card. The graphics card costs something but I can transfer it to the next computer I have in a year or two before Windows 10 stops receiving updates.

When you think about it, it's ironic that technology can be sentimental. :) Enjoy your PC! But I fully expect you to install Linux on it bare metal, or else...  ;)

Jason

I also thought you were going to mention that Tux Racer makes you a gamer.

cod3poet

Hold my files. Looking to replace the 4TB hard drives with 4TB SSD's to reduce noise and heat generation.
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE