• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

wifi router Trendnet TEW-652BRP - can't access login page

Started by ssfc72, October 12, 2022, 09:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I can't seem to bring up the login page, to the router settings by using the default IP address, in my browser. I just get a message back that the device is not found. I know I am using the correct default IP address for the router.

I was going to use the router as a repeater/extender for use with my rpi 3B MotionEyeOS webcam surveillance camera. The router was working fine about 2 years ago and is a nice performing router.

A youtube video about how to change the settings of an old router, to make it a repeater, showed that the router should be first reset, to get back to it's default settings.

I have tried to reset the router numerous times, I know the cable that I am using is good.
The youtube video shows plugging the cable into one of the 4 device jacks. I also tried to plug into the WAN jack.  At one point I did get a different device IP address showing up on my network Asus router and I belive it identified it as the Trendnet router, but that IP address did not respond to my attempts to get a login page. :-(

So, I guess I will have to go to the Restore thrift store and look for another good older router, to use as a repeater.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Did you try pinging the address in the terminal?

Is your computer (or wherever you're running the browser from) on the same subnet? Usually, with home networks, the subnet is represented by the third octet in the IP address. So 192.168.7.1 and 192.168.7.30 are on the same octet, but 192.168.1.10 isn't. Not the octets I highlighted. I think there can be problems communicating between different subnets. But it's worth checking out.

Ping in Linux is used like this:

ping -c[number] [address]

For example,

ping -c3 192.168.0.1

will ping the address 192.168.0.1 three times and reporting the time for each packet to go round trip.

If you're trying to find out your own IP address, you can use the network-manager GUI in Linux or in terminal:

ip addr

I wonder, though. If you're using it as a repeater, doesn't that mean it gets its IP address from another router? If so, a *default* address doesn't necessarily apply unless you've set it as static on that router's network AND made sure it's outside the DHCP range that it allocates. Otherwise, it's possible for you to have an IP address conflict. The DHCP server on the router assigns IP addresses within a certain range. Since it didn't assign the static IP, it doesn't know about it. And it may assign another device the same IP address. So you set the DHCP server in the router to assign addresses in a range like 192.168.0.2-100 and then set the static address outside of it, like 192.168.0.101.

You can also use nmap to provide a listing of network devices that it can find. It might not tell you which device the router (or repeater) is at but at least it will tell you which addresses are being used so you're not trying ones that don't even exist. DHCP assigns addresses in order but because of lease times, it's possible to have an IP address being held for a device even though the device has been turned off.

https://www.howtogeek.com/423709/how-to-see-all-devices-on-your-network-with-nmap-on-linux/
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

No problem, Bill. Happy to help in any way I can. Networking problems can be frustrating to the extreme. I for sure don't have all the answers. I'm not even 100% what I said is accurate about it being a segmentation issue, maybe 70%. But the commands I'm sure about and they're definitely worth checking out to troubleshoot the problem. Feel free to post again if you have other questions or send me an email if you want.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13