• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

RPI 4 firmware update and failure to boot MotionEyeOS

Started by ssfc72, October 09, 2022, 02:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Update, Nov 2, 2022 - see my recent post, for a correction of my problem installing on a RPi 4.
I was now able to install MotionEyeOS, without a problem. :-)

So, I was recently having some issues with the MotionEyeOS webcam surveillance software running on my RPI 3 B.
So I thought I would try and run the MotionEyeOS software on my RPI 4, 4GB.  No luck, it didn't even boot up.
I of course did use the correct MotionEyeOS program for the RPI 4.
On goggling the problem, I found others were having the same issue with the RPi 4 and MotionEyeOS.  The fix seems to be, to make sure the RPI 4 firmware has been updated.
To update the RPI 4 firmware, you have to install the Raspbian OS software on the micro sd card, that the RPI  boots from. Sigh! Then you issue some command line update commands, which is suppose to update the firmware.

The RPI 4 8 GB board also has some issues that have to be worked around, until the MotionEyeOS program is updated. The programs current release is dated 2020.

I have just finished putting the Raspbian OS on the micro sd card and I will try and do a firmware update  of my RPI 4 4GB, tomorrow. Stay tuned. :-)

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I don't have the MotionEyeOS software, but I'm interested in your results. I have an rPi 4, but haven't used it in awhile. I should run it and update the firmware too.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Interesting. That must be annoying to have to install Raspbian just to update the firmware. But I'm guessing it didn't take long.

Btw, has anyone else noticed some of the crazy prices right now for Raspberry Pis online (other than Zero or Nano versions)? Evidently, a lot of companies depend on RPis and they've had trouble keeping up with manufacturing enough. Getting kits usually isn't a problem but if you try to just buy a Pi, you're facing potentially insane prices. The ones who don't overcharge are usually just selling the kits and they can cost you $100-$150.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Yes, the install of Raspbian OS didn't take long. I just installed the desktop version which was about a 900 MB download. The other version of Raspbian included some extra software and is about a 2G download, I believe.

I noticed that the RPI 4 boards have been and still are, not in stock, at most online stores.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on October 10, 2022, 08:29:09 AM
I noticed that the RPI 4 boards have been and still are, not in stock, at most online stores.

The only place I've seen them, outside of the kits, is on eBay. And they're going for outrageous prices, almost as much as the kits. I may have seen some on Amazon at one point but same thing, extortion-level prices.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Update - I think my initial problem with running MotioneyeOS on the RPi4 may have been because I thought the RPi that I was using was a RPi 4.  I now think it was actually only a RPi 3b. :-(

I did find my RPi 4 and I installed the MotioneyeOS software and it ran fine. :-)
The Motioneye software that you download for the RPi 4 detects if you are trying to install to a RPi 3 by mistake, and will warn you and not do the install. That is how I found out that I had the wrong RPi.

The original Dev is no longer able to support the continued development of the program and it has been taken over by another group.
I found the software program very hard to find on GitHub so here is the Link to the web page
https://github.com/motioneye-project/motioneyeos

Look to the right side of the web page, where it says, Releases, and click on the file, 20200606 (current file as of today 20221102)

Jason

Thanks for the info, Bill. Caught any of the bad guys with it, yet? :)