• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

TP-Link Archer C50 Router Review

Started by Jason, October 06, 2022, 07:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

In July, we switched from Cogeco back to Start as our internet provider. Unlike with Cogeco, the cable modem didn't come with wireless so we had to add a wireless router. After looking on Amazon, I settled on the TP-Link Archer C50 router. I bought it in July.

What convinced me was the Amazon Editor's Choice stamp of approval and that it supported DD-WRT. I haven't installed DD-WRT on it but I will. It also doesn't hurt that it can be used as a repeater as well. And it had most of the latest standards. It has four antennae, broadcasts in either or both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and supports WPA 3 and b, n, g and ac standards.

I'm entirely happy with the router. All of our devices connect to it, and we have a strong signal throughout our basement apartment. That includes my wife's desktop where the signal has to go through three walls. Previously we only got 4 bars, sometimes only 3. It's only been rebooted once but that may have been the cable modem.  It was easy to set up with a quick foldout sheet and a brief troubleshooting guide.

We paired it with a TP-Link wireless card as my wife was having issues with the wireless USB stick.

The configuration screen has every usual option with a couple more like guest mode and the network uses IP isolation for it by default. The router was only $39 at the time, not much more than some cheap routers that aren't as rock solid. It also came with the most recent firmware available which was released only a couple of weeks previous to my order. Maybe I was just lucky.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Thanks for the review, Jason.
$39 is a great price. My router, which I bought quite a few years ago is an Asus RT-AC68U, has similar specs and can run DD-WRT and iI believe I paid, at the time, around $140.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

That's an amazing price for a good router!
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

One thing I should mention is that I don't do torrents anymore, at least, not for more than the occasional Linux ISO. That's supposed to be the real test of a router in terms of stability but I haven't tried it.

I noticed an online review of a C50 shows a picture that isn't the router I have even though it says it's the same model. So just so you make sure that any other reviews are talking about the same router, here's the one I have:

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Wireless-Archer-C50-V3/dp/B07451WCQW?th=1

I probably should mention that I have only a 40 Mbps internet connection so if you have something faster, I can't promise that it can live up to those speeds. The geek in me wants a better connection but the poor part of me says that 40 Mbps works fine so why bother? :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13