• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Framework laptop

Started by fox, April 01, 2023, 09:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Ever heard of this brand? I just came across it accidentally. It looks very impressive, based on its specs and the fact that all parts of it are upgradable, including the CPU. Price isn't bad either, starting at $CAN 1,419 for an Intel i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 configuration. Check it out here.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Wish we had that much money to spend on a computer. But if we did have that much money, I guess the first thing we would do is stop adding sawdust to our peanut butter to make it last longer.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

With the price of lumber, now, I am surprised you can still afford the sawdust. It is probably more expensive than the peanut butter. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

ssfc72

Thanks for the info Mike.  Never heard of that company/notebook.  I would be leary of buying one that won't be available until the Q3 and having to put $100 ( CDN??? ) deposit.
It only has a choice of a total of 4 ports (each port chosen, is an extra cost, added on)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

buster

Quote from: ssfc72 on April 02, 2023, 08:12:15 AM
With the price of lumber, now, I am surprised you can still afford the sawdust. It is probably more expensive than the peanut butter. :-)

Well, price varies with the tree species. White Maple has the highest taste rating, and the highest price. But it has a troublesome side effect.

If you eat very much of it, you will find when you sit outside on a lawn chair, you will attract and be covered by carpenter ants.

ssfc72

buster

Oak makes pretty good sawdust too, but it gives Marilyn gas.

Jason

I saw a nice Pangolin laptop at System76 for around $1300 with AMD Ryzen 7, 32 GB of RAM, 250 GB M.2 SSD (you can get 500 GB for $15 more), a full-size SD card reader, a USB-C port you can charge it with (it does come with adapter though), 3 USB 3.2 ports and an HDMI port. You can also add an optional NVMe drive. And over 8-hour battery life, streaming Ultra HD video. Seemed great until I remember that's USD. Ugh.

https://www.wired.com/review/system76-pangolin-linux-laptop/?utm_source=pocket_saves

And stop playing poor, Buster. :-) Retired high school teachers have pretty good pensions, deservedly so, educating teens. I can only imagine. That was pretty funny with the sawdust though. I seem to recall a chemistry teacher telling us that ice cream uses cellulose in it, basically fine-grained sawdust. Seems unlikely, but even if now sawdust, cellulose is certainly similar.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13