General (non-Linux) > General Discussion

Amateur Radio Field Day Contest, this weekend

(1/3) > >>

ssfc72:
The Contest involves trying to make as many "Contacts" during the contest period. The contest runs from 2 pm Saturday, round the clock, to 2 pm Sunday.
The contest is an American ARRL organization run contest and the purpose of the contest is to give Hams the exercise, in setting up an Amateur radio station and antenna, as might be required during an emergency situation and contacting other Amateur Radio operators, to pass on information.

The Peterborough Amateur Club, PARC, is again holding their Field Day at Newhall park in Peterborough. The public is welcome to come and see what it is all about.
https://www.peterboroughamateurradioclub.ca/fieldday.htm

I think, buried in Federal government licence regulations for an Amateur Radio operator, is wording that the Feds can require you to operate your HF station for emergency purposes and they can come into your house to take away your equipment if you are doing something not allowed by your licence.

Bill VE3WAH 

Jason:
"The contest involves trying to make as many 'Contacts' during the contest period."

Sounds like a dance card. :) Or maybe more like speed-dating.

How long have you been involved with amateur radio, Bill?

ssfc72:
I passed the Federal government exam/test around 1983. After graduating from college in 1972, I had knowledge of electronic/electricity and wanted to try and get my Amateur Radio licence. I think I had to travel to Oshawa or Toronto to try writing the test and do Morse Code. I didn't pass the Morse Code test of 10 words per minute.  A few years later I was able to pass the Code test at a Peterborough Amateur Radio Club event.

Jason:
Do they still require you to know the morse code to get a license today? Even 10 words a minute seems complicated with the average word length (6 letters I recall). You'd have to remember at least 36 alphanumeric characters and transmit 3 dots/dashes per second. Achievable but I imagine for a beginner it'd be like me trying to do 10 push-ups daily. :D

fox:

--- Quote from: Jason on June 26, 2022, 06:39:49 pm ---.... Achievable but I imagine for a beginner it'd be like me trying to do 10 push-ups daily. :D

--- End quote ---
You can practice that at our next in-person meeting.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version