• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Advance Voting opens today

Started by Jason, May 19, 2022, 12:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Advance polls are open and apparently, they will be until May 28. That's pretty awesome. I always think it's best to vote in advance so if there are any problems, you have time to resolve them beforehand. Note that, just like with election day, you need to go to the voting poll assigned to you (which is usually a different location than on election day) OR go to the local returning office in your area to vote. You can do the latter any day during operating hours.

My wife and I will be voting by mail. We haven't received our kits yet but should soon. Then I can either drop them off or just bring them to the local returning office. You can apply to vote by mail up until May 27.

It's best not to leave thinking about voting until the last minute. Check to make sure you're on the voter's list. If you didn't get a card, you should definitely check and save yourself a possible phone call. But you can vote on election day even if you're not on the list. It just makes things more complicated, mostly for the poll clerk helping you.

More info here:

https://www.elections.on.ca/en.html
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

William

I didn't know you can vote by mail!

ssfc72

Yes, thanks Jason. I applied for the mail-in voting, after reading your post.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: William on May 20, 2022, 06:08:40 PM
I didn't know you can vote by mail!

Yep, the option has been there for years. We're modern like that! ;) My wife has voted that way in the last few elections, provincially and federally. I did the same since I had to drop hers off, anyway. I don't know if it still is but it used to be called a Special Ballot. After you get your kit and vote, you can mail it back or just drop it off at the local Elections Ontario office.

I received our kits before the weekend, voted and I mailed them on Monday.

Did you get your voting kit yet, Bill? If there's not enough time to get it and send it back, you can drop it off at the office.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

i just got the voting kit in the mail on Thursday. I will mail it off today, Friday.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

William

ssfc72

The mail in voting kit includes, the voting Ballot, a privacy envelope to seal the ballot in, a mailing address leaflet and a post paid outer envelope, to put the privacy envelope, in.