• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

WW2 Movie for Bill

Started by buster, May 23, 2022, 11:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

I must warn you Bill that the movie is in colour, so be prepared. See if you can acquire the newly made movie

Operation Mincemeat

Good reviews. Do a few searches.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Thanks buster, watched the movie last evening. Very well done.  A little more accurate/detailed, in the part what went on in the background of how the fake papers where read by the Germans, as opposed to the 1956 black and white movie, The Man Who Never Was.
I think perhaps there may have been some Hollywood made up stuff about what was happening between "Pam" and the two British Intelligence officers.

There is a very good modern book that goes into even more accurate details about the deception, by the British Intelligence Agency.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Worth noting that Ian Fleming, the creator of the James Bond books, was actually involved in the ruse.

I seem to recall from reading a few years ago that there was affection and competition in the love triangle. (It was war time.) But the script writers had to do something other than write a documentary. So it may have been exaggerated.

buster

Bill, it may be that you and I are the only ones with electricity. You probably never lost it, while Marilyn and I got it back after 25 hours because we live with totally buried electrical lines.

Or the universe likes us.

Who is on the site shows almost no one. Guests only.

ssfc72

Yes, it is amazing, both the electricity and the internet stayed up during the storm, at my place.  I do have an automatic natural gas, standby generator, if the power does goes down. The generator would not help, though, if the Cogeco internet system did go down.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

William

I just finished mowing, when the storm happened.  It was strong wind, but brief.  I was surprised to learn the damage it caused in other places.

Jason

Quote from: buster on May 23, 2022, 11:46:37 AM
I must warn you Bill that the movie is in colour, so be prepared. See if you can acquire the newly made movie

Operation Mincemeat

Good reviews. Do a few searches.

For the more ethical sort, I believe it's on Netflix. Haven't seen it (added it to my list) yet but thanks for the recommendation.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

We got back our power later the same day maybe 8 or 9 pm that evening. We were lucky. It probably had something to do with just being down the road from the Hydro One operations centre. :) Even a block or so north of us was dark a day later (at least). They had a hydro pole on Monaghan near Harold Drive (deep south end) that almost snapped in two. Don't know when their power came back.

We lost internet on Saturday, too, but didn't get it back until Tuesday night meaning I missed the first day of classes in my cybersecurity course. I thought most people on cable internet in Peterborough were in the same situation. Are you with Bell internet, Buster? I know Bill is in Lindsay so they probably never had the power go out.

Some even lost cell service for part of that day or had sketchy service.

Peterborough was hit hard, William. Just down the street from me, one old tree trunk broke right off and fell over, two others had almost half the trunks break off. Branches were broken everywhere. We had three or four people die from trees falling on them! I believe it was reported that a couple of hundred trees in Peterborough were downed or largely broken.

Large swaths of the city were down for 1-2 days, some longer. I believe a small number didn't get power restored until last night or even waited until this evening. We must've had 100-120 km/h winds although it was a brief storm here, too. The sound was like a hurricane or a tornado, at least how you'd see it in the movies!
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

"Are you with Bell internet, Buster? I know Bill is in Lindsay so they probably never had the power go out."

No power, Internet or cell for 25 hours. Trees down or spit all over the place here. Two trees across our street. But we have underground wiring. Makes a huge difference. So back on relatively early Sunday afternoon.

Friends in Carleton Place had a massive maple come down right beside their house. Whole town (city?) out til midnight last night. That's Wednesday if you read this later.

fox

Our area was hit hard, with downed trees everywhere and some streets still closed. Our power was down for 7 days; it was only restored last night. We have no generator. We cooked and boiled water on our BBQ, but got some hot water from neighbours that had gas stoves. I have three tropical fish aquaria, and with the filters, heaters (and lights) down, I had to change some of the water three times a day to keep them warm enough and aerate the water.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Tough go with the fish Mike. 7 days is a long time. We had the trailer to make tea, but cooked on the barbie.

Seems to me our whole culture is a potential house of cards. World supply routes, electrical and heating fuel supplies, disease epidemics, computer hackers, the rise of the ill informed, the anti science groups, the nefarious use of social apps, sources of food for 7 1/2 billion people. So far humans have done well to hold it all together, but we don't live in a natural world where some of us might be able to extract a living from what's around us, the way many could a century ago.

Ah well. It all makes good TV watching.

Jason

Btw, Mincemeat was a great movie. My wife enjoyed it, too, and she's not one for war-related movies. Its flow and feeling reminded me of that recent (as in the last 10 years) movie about breaking the encryption on the Enigma machine.

Jason

Quote from: fox on May 28, 2022, 03:07:22 AM
Our area was hit hard, with downed trees everywhere and some streets still closed. Our power was down for 7 days; it was only restored last night. We have no generator. We cooked and boiled water on our BBQ, but got some hot water from neighbours that had gas stoves. I have three tropical fish aquaria, and with the filters, heaters (and lights) down, I had to change some of the water three times a day to keep them warm enough and aerate the water.

That must've been tough. I'm surprised with you being so close to the core that it didn't come back up faster. Are you considering getting a generator now? Or solar panels might be more up your alley.

Jason

Quote from: buster on May 28, 2022, 05:01:17 PM
Seems to me our whole culture is a potential house of cards. World supply routes, electrical and heating fuel supplies, disease epidemics, computer hackers, the rise of the ill informed, the anti science groups, the nefarious use of social apps, sources of food for 7 1/2 billion people. So far humans have done well to hold it all together, but we don't live in a natural world where some of us might be able to extract a living from what's around us, the way many could a century ago.

It can certainly feel like that and I think it's something we all ponder when the power goes out. But you can't have a more advanced civilization and still live off the land. We should actually be impressed by our little patch of the world in that we can get power back up in hours or days when many places in the world including industrialized nations like Iraq can't keep the power on all day in the best of circumstances. Granted, nobody in Canada should be without electricity for a week but then we have reserves where Indigenous people have been without potable water for up to a decade!

But pandemics and the increasing spread of dangerous misinformation certainly worry me. Especially since they can feed into each other. I think both of those are bigger threats than anything else other than the ever-present crisis of climate change.

How are your fish doing, Fox?

buster

"I think both of those are bigger threats than anything else other than the ever-present crisis of climate change."

Pandemics and misinformation are a huge danger to humans. But climate change can affect the entire ecosystem. And the DNA is the core of most living things. Humans and oak trees are about 70% compatible. So if the humans destroy themselves, it's not such a big deal. In fact all the animals are planning a sing-along for the day the final human dies.

On the other hand, if the planet is destroyed by out of control heating, triggered by little understood accelerating factors, the DNA could be eliminated, or the life on earth could be set back to extremely primitive forms that will take eons to evolve to the lush green earth we have still have.

And a sidebar - Humans need trees and algae, but they don't need us.

Most humans see us alone as the important part of the planet. But some see humans as a part of a grander part of all living things - living thigs are all related and part of one family.