• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Get $20 from a Li-Ion class action

Started by Jason, November 09, 2021, 11:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I got my $20 through an etransfer to my bank.  My first attempt at doing an etransfer deposit, resulted in my being locked out of my bank account. Took me half a day, to get that fixed. :-(
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

William

Quote from: ssfc72 on May 07, 2022, 02:40:26 PM
I got my $20 through an etransfer to my bank.  My first attempt at doing an etransfer deposit, resulted in my being locked out of my bank account. Took me half a day, to get that fixed. :-(
Can you elaborate?  So that we can avoid your mistake. :-)

ssfc72

Well. I am not sure what the problem was. It may have been a problem with the EQ Bank website.

The email from the battery settlement people had a Link/icon to click on, to start the etransfer. The brings up a page where you click on your Bank name. The EQ Bank was not among the major banks so I had to click on the "other" banks.  This caused the Brave browser to go into it's "waiting" mode, were the browser keeps throwing up a "page unresponsive" menu, which requires you to "wait" or cancel". After numerous times of waiting, I finally get to the EQ Bank login page.

I then put in my login credentials and the EQ login page rejects my login. I do the login again and get a 2nd rejection.

I then go to the firefox browser and it also results in a rejection of my login credentials. That's when I got locked out of my EQ account.

From the EQ lockout instructions I get a passcode emailed to me.  I enter the passcode from the email and the passcode is rejected.

I try to get another passcode  emailed to me by EQ and no email shows up. That's when I gave up, because I figured EQ must be having some "technical" issues.

The next morning I try and phone the bank but as usual, you get put on hold. After waiting a bit, I hang up.
I phoned again in the afternoon and get a person after a brief wait.
He asks me a lot of questions to try  and verify who I am. After quite awhile I finally get my account unlocked.

I then used, I believe, Firefox to login to my EQ account and I believe I found the etransfer ready for deposit, once I put in the security number that was in my email from the battery settlement people.

I normally use the Brave browser to login to the EQ bank, and I have no problems.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

That is very strange. Was the link so that you could enter the security question? You can register for auto-deposit and then you'll just get the funds with no hassle. That's how I do it. But I've never heard of EQ Bank before so maybe it was an issue specific to them.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

William

Quote from: ssfc72 on May 09, 2022, 05:18:27 AM
The email from the battery settlement people had a Link/icon to click on, to start the etransfer. The brings up a page where you click on your Bank name. The EQ Bank was not among the major banks so I had to click on the "other" banks.  This caused the Brave browser to go into it's "waiting" mode, were the browser keeps throwing up a "page unresponsive" menu, which requires you to "wait" or cancel". After numerous times of waiting, I finally get to the EQ Bank login page.
Any etransfer email would be from Interac.ca, and the format would be the same no matter who sent the money.  Interac seems to remember my main bank for deposit (TD) and have that as the "primary" button.  If I want to deposit to other bank, then I have to click "others" and go through more lengthy clicks.  But, yeah, could be EQ glitch.

William

Quote from: Jason on May 09, 2022, 12:18:23 PM
You can register for auto-deposit and then you'll just get the funds with no hassle. That's how I do it.

I never used "auto-deposit".  How do you move money between banks, then?  Do they allow you to turn of "auto-deposit" when you send money to yourself?  Or, do you have to send it to your other email address?

Jason

Quote from: William on May 09, 2022, 08:43:11 PM
I never used "auto-deposit".  How do you move money between banks, then?  Do they allow you to turn of "auto-deposit" when you send money to yourself?  Or, do you have to send it to your other email address?

It's auto-deposit for eTransfer. So you can skip having to respond to a security question. You can't turn it on and off based on the person sending it. You have to register for it and it should be located in the eTransfer section of your banking app or website. The sender, whether you or someone else, still has to provide the email address or phone number of the receiver. When you enter an email or phone number when sending an eTransfer, the bank checks to see if they're registered and if so, you're not prompted for a security question and answer that they must normally use to receive funds.

You can de-register anytime you like. I've never had a problem with somebody, anybody giving me money, no matter how much or how little, so I registered mine. So if you want to send me money, William, my email is.... :)

In case it matters, I should point out that while I have two banks I deal with, they are both assigned different email addresses. So where I use eTransfer to move funds between them, I just use the email address (or really my name in the recipient list since it's saved) associated with the other bank and away it goes since they both are registered for auto-deposit with eTransfer.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

William

Another question is, what if you sent to wrong email?  And, that wrong email happens to have "auto-deposit" registered.  You won't get that money back, you know. :-)

Jason

Quote from: William on May 10, 2022, 04:50:59 PM
Another question is, what if you sent to wrong email?  And, that wrong email happens to have "auto-deposit" registered.  You won't get that money back, you know. :-)

Correct. So don't send it to the wrong email address. Watch for typos. I've probably done dozens of e-Transfers now. Never once have I lost money or had a problem. I don't know about other banks but with my bank, regular transfers let you associate an email address with a title like "William." Then I just use the title so no worry about typos after you get it right the first time.