• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

New Ubuntu LTS won't show other distros in Grub menu

Started by fox, April 01, 2022, 07:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is now in beta, but whether you install or upgrade your current installation when it comes out later this month, the updated grub menu you get with it will no longer show other distros as boot options. The reason: OS Prober has been disabled in it. Fortunately, there is an easy way to re-enable it, as explained here.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Thanks for the heads up about this issue, Fox.
Hopefully the Devs of Grub/Ubuntu will see the error of their ways and change things, so that at least during the install of Ubuntu, the user will be given the option of choosing whether to have OS Prober enabled or not.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Will it show Windows 10 for those who are setting up a dual boot for their first Linux try?
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

buster

Bit of a pain for a beginner, and it adds unnecessary complexity for the uninitiated.Thanks.

(My question was based on my own use of the word distro, which to me  indicates Linux. Should have guessed from the words OS Prober.)
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

Fair question, but yes, no other distro will be shown on the Grub menu without enabling OS Prober. I'll be curious if it affects my iMac, which uses Refind rather than Grub for the opening menu. I think it's the bootloader as well.

Jason

That seems like a strange thing for them to do. I wonder why they did that?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13