• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Never before seen: I can no longer email to myself!

Started by buster, April 21, 2022, 05:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

For 22 years I've been able to send materials from one computer to another via email. One computer I use for printing for example and one is Marilyn's. True for my tablet as well.

Today I can't! Linux, tablet or Win 10 do not receive any emails sent to myself from any of them, although they show in the 'sent emails' file of all three.

I suspect the problem is at the filtering of the mail server (Sympatico) but I don't want to get on the phone with them unless I have to. I CAN email myself from Gmail, and I've received other emails today, though earlier.

Any ideas for the old guy?
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

Did you look in your spam filter?

Maybe the Sympatico server was down.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

William

Maybe you should consider Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.  You know, "cloud" thing.  It's more hip.

ssfc72

Can you not just go to the Sent mail folder, from your computers, and view the email and any attachments?

With my Hotmail/Outlook email account, I can see the email/attachments, that I have sent, from the Sent folder.

Quote from: buster on April 21, 2022, 05:40:47 PM

from any of them, although they show in the 'sent emails' file of all three.

Any ideas for the old guy?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Thank you for the prompt replies!

1. I can only look at the 'sent' in the computer that actually sent, which does me no good at all. I want the document on the other computer.

2. Using the cloud, while seemingly sensible in most cases, would be an unnecessary complication for Marilyn when I can simply send her an email. We use the same email address.

3. Sympatico servers were not down. I could send out and receive emails throughout the day.

4. A workaround I ended up using was to send the recipe (in this case) to my Gmail account, and from that send it to my Sympatico email address and it went to all three OS's. Then I could print it.

5. E.M.Forster wrote a short s/f story in 1909 called the Machine Stops. The human world was simplified by the fact that machines, in a huge interconnected creation, did all the work. And then one day the machine stopped and no one could fix it. Prescient.

6. About 10:00 p.m. last night the problem cleared on its own. Still working today. I find it interesting that the emails I sent to myself from all 3 computers have never been seen again, except in the sent boxes of my computers.

Thanks again for the help.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Glad it worked out. But I'm curious why you're emailing things back and forth between your computers. Why not just create network folders to share among your computers and share the computer connected to your printer with others (or just get a network printer)? Or a cloud service?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

William

I used to do this at first, early on.  Advantages are no need to configure, independent of OS/distro, don't have to worry about backups, and you're already using emails anyways.

If you're already using Dropbox, then you'll use that, because it's exactly for that use case.