• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS early findings

Started by fox, April 21, 2022, 05:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Quote from: buster on May 05, 2022, 07:30:34 PM
I think I like aesthetically that the available bits are used to build everything. There need be no duplication on your computer of much of the software. But I see in the future an unpleasing array of single programs isolated from each other, most of them using the same software bits in each program.

I don't see why it would be unpleasing except to system developers who just find repetition unsettling. You've probably been using snaps already with no idea that you were (if you use a distro based on Ubuntu). To the user, there doesn't appear to be any difference except perhaps the loading delay in the first initialization of heavier programs. They're run from the same menu as any other packages (with GUIs) would be. Maybe I've misunderstood, but what is unpleasing exactly?

Isolation is a strength, especially in this malware-infested world.

Imagine a tree where one huge branch extends out from the trunk and then 3 other branches connect out from it. And you, Fox and I are each on one of those smaller branches. If the branch I'm on breaks, bad for me, but you guys are okay. If the branch that is common to all of us breaks, we're all going down.

But if every branch of the tree comes directly out from the trunk, only a break in the trunk would take all of us down. It wouldn't be as handy for the tree in terms of energy use but it'd be a lot safer for each of us. The trunk is the Linux base, the larger branches are common libraries (or running environments) and we're the programs.

That's like the difference between a standard Linux package (like a deb) and a Snap or Flatpak.

There are various pluses and minuses to doing it either way but one is clearly safer because it isn't as dependent on other code. But there might be other considerations, especially for older machines:

https://www.makeuseof.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-snap-and-snap-store/

As the article mentions, Snaps earn quite a bit of disdain because Canonical controls their use (you need a snap account) whereas Flatpaks can be used by anyone.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13