• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

openbox

Started by fox, February 16, 2017, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

I decided I wanted to have a desktop other than Unity to use occasionally, and after my problems with KDE Plasma installed within vanilla Ubuntu, I went the other way for something minimal. I always liked openbox in Crunchbang and later in Bunsenlabs (still on my distrohopping laptop), but these use a customized version of openbox. I once tried to install vanilla openbox in Ubuntu, and was horrified as to how bare it was compared to the Crunchbang version. But that was years ago when I was a total neophyte. I still might be a pretty unsophisticated Linux user, but this time I was able to figure out how to customize vanilla openbox to the point that it is almost as usable as in CB and Bunsenlabs. I would be happy to do a talk on this in the future if members are interested. (But not before Bob's talk on TrueOS!!!)
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

bobf

Then you're not going to like my answer, Mike; my presentation consists of "I installed it, it didn't find my wifi, there's been no support for it instituted since FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE - I'm done." (We're now at version 12.0-RELEASE, some 4 years later.)

I can install simple, plain-Jane distros like elementaryOS, SparkyLinux, et al, much less the heavy hitters, and if there's no support already there, there's a wellspring of information on how to enable it, with the entire Linux community helping. "The 'BSDs" have always been a more server-oriented, CLI-based entity - witness the absolute security of OpenBSD, which identified two - count 'em, 2! - bugs in its lifetime, both of which were patched, and which provides an impregnable product-to-beat foundation - in an open-source offering.

Until you incorporate a desktop onto it, at which point, all bets are off.

I could wax poetic about USB wifi dongles, which I have, using it strictly Ethernet, maybe try to find a compatible wifi card... I am thoroughly fatigued with an exercise that simply does nothing to dispel the "not ready for primetime" tarring (*nix joke! <^8#) that "the great unwashed" confer upon Linux et al. I guarantee you that the technology in the BSDs is cutting-edge, but if I have to put up with this crap, what chance does the casual computerist have?

And it didn't stop at installation, either. Among the things I do to a Linux installation is implementing Adobe Flash & Java into Firefox, from the command line. (It's what I do...) I spent over an hour attempting to do as I would in Linux, to be completely thwarted. I could not find the locale into which Firefox was installed, so attempting to link add-ons into it was completely unsuccessful, and I know some consider it safer not to use either or both, but that's again not the point. I am also conversant with "jails", but if I can't do it as "root", how the hell is it done at all?!

Is it just me, or should they be renaming the company to "One"?! <^8# ("The One TrueOS?!")

Not from my perspective, kiddies. I'd rather be relegated to Unity for all eternity...

Perhaps someone else has a laptop with supported hardware that also doesn't care about Firefox add-ons that might like to take a shot at it? 'Cuz there's got to be some love out there SOMEWHERE for TrueOS, wouldn't'cha think?

fox

TrueOS just released a new version. Maybe this fixed the wifi issue.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

bobf

Interesting <ahem!> 'developments'...! <^8# TrueOS has released a new snapshot, but it is still based on FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT, which is not the same as 11.0-RELEASE. The two release versions of FreeBSD available are 11.0-RELEASE and 10.3-RELEASE, making 12.0-CURRENT the analog of Debian Unstable - Not Yet Ready For PrimeTime...

Good to play with, but probably not suitable for production environments. And I will try it, but...