• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Major web server upgrade

Started by Jason, April 21, 2023, 10:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I'm doing a major OS upgrade today. It's hard to give an ETA. Here's why:

Because it's an OS upgrade and I use some software not available as packages (or snaps, etc.), it is trickier than a standard upgrade. And I need to back up and restore the website database and check that everything works. This OS upgrade is essential as the present version has reached EOL, so no more updates, security or otherwise. Obviously, that's not something we want.

Therefore, the upgrade could go smoothly, or not . In the past, a skilled member has generously offered assistance should I get stuck. Thank you, anonymous member! I don't want to embarrass you by using your name without permission.

With luck, the website will be entirely functional tomorrow. If not, I will update the status here only so please check this board if the forum isn't up by noon tomorrow. In case that makes no sense, I mean that if the forum isn't out of maintenance mode. :D

Apologies for any inconvenience. Have a great week everyone!
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

After receiving reports from at least two members of problems with the upgraded server, I've rolled it back to a snapshot taken just prior.

I didn't back up the latest forum database so very recent posts have been lost. Sorry about that. Hopefully, things are working okay again. I'm going to take a different approach but it might be a few days before I get around to it.

Please don't hesitate to post if you wish. Next time, I'll back up the forum database before I bring the server down and restore it so nothing is lost.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

Oh, btw, the person that has graciously offered his assistance is cod3poet. Thanks, dude!

I'm pretty stubborn so haven't taken advantage of the offer. I keep at it until I'm tearing my hair out. Then I take a break and come back and tear some more! :) Maybe you could recommend some good (and free) graphical webserver configuration software. Something like cpanel. I know webmin looked great but back in the day had a lot of security issues. Not sure if it's better. If anybody would know what to use, it'd be you. That is if you actually use any graphical configuration software. :)

Jason

Continuing the upgrade using another host. I need to capture a static version of the forum so it will be in maintenance mode (read-only) possibly all day today and tomorrow. I don't expect to be working on the forum most of that time. I just have other things to do (shock, I know!) so may have to leave it and come back.

See you on the flipside!

Jason

It's only been 20 minutes but at first looks, the new server appears to be working and the new upgrade of the forum. I still have to do the main pages (when you go to just plugintolinux.ca).

Most of you will notice a new theme. Some had a different theme and although I enabled the additional themes, I'm not sure if they are compatible. If they aren't, I'll see if there are updated versions of the themes. So if you have issues, note your theme and then switch to the default theme until I can find an updated version and install it.

Happy trails!

fox

The new theme is working OK for me, and it looks much more modern than the old theme. I like it.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

cod3poet

Unless you count VScode as graphical then no most of my management is done between a mix of tools. VScode being my text editor / ide / source control entry point where I make all my config modifications, connect to remote servers, and manage files. Yes it does it all and there is an open port call vscodium that has open source binaries distributions of the primarily microsoft product.

https://vscodium.com/

Then I also use a personally hosted gitlab instance to host all my code and configs and allows me to work between multiple machines easily.

https://about.gitlab.com/

I have copies of my configs there, and then backup that instance so I have what I need and if a change fails I can revert old code as everything is versioned in git. It's a very developer first approach but over the years as I have written more scripts I was forced to retool away from just SSHing into a box and making changes on the fly.

On Top of that I have started using Red Hat Ansible to assist in automating all the common things which then lead me down a path of python scripting.

https://www.redhat.com/en/technologies/management/ansible
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

Okay, you're so far beyond me it hurts.  ???