• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Odroid N2+ vs. Raspberry Pi?

Started by kalabaster, March 28, 2022, 04:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalabaster

Has anyone considered looking for and acquiring an Odroid N2+ replete with 6 processor cores and the paltry 4 Gb RAM. As Jason indicates the 4 Gb may be suitable for most uses and the dual processors will facilitate power conservation. In it's most basic form it is about the same price Cdn as the rPi4 4Gb from Hardkernal ! Just sayin'. I don't know, if you give me 6 cores instead of 4, I would think I would want the extra HP and flow thru perf.   Whad up Dawg ?

https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-n2-with-4gbyte-ram-2/
MACbook Pro 1501, Catalina| ASUS ROG Crosshair AMD PCLinux | HP AIO Elite, Win 10 Pro| HP Folio 14, Win 10 Pro| ASUS M32CD, PCLinux/Trinity

fox

I don't have a good sense of what distros are available for an Odroid. One of the advantages of buying an rPi is that a lot of distros run on it.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

fox

... and that a lot of add-on equipment is available for it.

ssfc72

From the Link in Kals post and the Wiki page found there, it appears the Odroid only runs a Ubuntu Distro and and Android OS, that are developed for the board. The Ubuntu Mate version needs 8 GB Ram and a Ubuntu Minimal needs 4 GB Ram. The Android OS needs 8 GB Ram.  I would guess the $83 price of the 4 GB board would be USD and then there would be shipping costs.
Apparently shipping is via FedEX or DHL from Korea. Shipping is $54, so total cost is $137 USD for the 4GB board. You may have to pay taxes etc, when it gets to Customs?

As a coincidence, I was looking up the price/availability of a RPi4 just yesterday and it appears most of the various versions (bare board, kit, 4 or 8 GB) are not available from my usual online stores and would be back ordered. :-(

Quote from: fox on March 28, 2022, 07:25:57 PM
I don't have a good sense of what distros are available for an Odroid. One of the advantages of buying an rPi is that a lot of distros run on it.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I bought an rPi4 with 4 gb RAM about a year ago.

William

You only have 3 choices in the market.  In terms of quality, Odroid is top, BeagleBone Black is middle, and Raspberry Pi is bottom.  At work, we are using Odroid and BeagleBone Black.  We use BeagleBone Black because it has USB device port which is used as programmable USB keyboard.

ssfc72

So William, what do you use the Odroid for, at work?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

William

Quote from: ssfc72 on April 05, 2022, 08:48:58 AM
So William, what do you use the Odroid for, at work?
For proof of concept.  Crashing at the slightest static isn't very good concept.

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on March 29, 2022, 08:28:46 AM
Apparently shipping is via FedEX or DHL from Korea. Shipping is $54, so total cost is $137 USD for the 4GB board. You may have to pay taxes etc, when it gets to Customs?

As a coincidence, I was looking up the price/availability of a RPi4 just yesterday and it appears most of the various versions (bare board, kit, 4 or 8 GB) are not available from my usual online stores and would be back ordered. :-(

$54 for shipping!? Holy crap! Did you check to see if anybody is selling it on Amazon with cheaper shipping costs? Btw, I have Amazon Prime so if that's available for it, I can order it on behalf of any of you.

Not sure about customs. Whenever I order, I try to use Canada Post. The brokerage fee is what really hits you; it can be over $30. You'd still have HST and any customs tax but that'd be a LOT less. I remember ordering a box of yarn for Nora. The yarn was $32, the total customs fees were more than that. When the package was delivered, the delivery guy told us about using Canada Post to avoid the fee. I think you can use Express Post and possibly Purolator if you want it faster.

Regarding availability, it sounds like the chip shortage is still going on. Omicron has probably sent a lot of manufacturing/packaging workers home. Who knows?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Quote from: William on April 05, 2022, 08:38:28 PM
For proof of concept.  Crashing at the slightest static isn't very good concept.

What are they hoping to use it for, William? And do you still work for Epson?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

No. I didn't bother checking anywhere else for a cheaper price for the Odroid.  The RPI  is ok, for for me to have fun playing with. :-)

Quote from: Jason on April 09, 2022, 01:54:04 PM
$54 for shipping!? Holy crap! Did you check to see if anybody is selling it on Amazon with cheaper shipping costs? Btw, I have Amazon Prime so if that's available for it, I can order it on behalf of any of you.