• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Problem using Gmail in Brave app using Chromebook

Started by Jason, March 11, 2022, 11:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I'm not really asking for support but I'll put this topic here in case anyone thinks of something or just let's me know it's not possible. Here we go:

I changed to a phone provider and received a Chromebook as an incentive. I'm really enjoying using it even though it's so Google-centric. However, one thing is quite annoying. When I try to log into my Gmail account using the Brave browser, it won't let me (see attachment for error message).

I've never had this problem on my PC using Brave so I can only think that Google doesn't like me using a browser other than their built-in Chrome browser. The only workaround is to use their browser or the Gmail app.

If Google is doing this, they're definitely acting evil. Unless there is something wrong in the Brave app, there's no reason why it shouldn't work.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Maybe try to do a search engine of the Gmail login issue with the Chromebook and the Brave browser?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Is there a setting in Brave that would allow you to mimic Chrome?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on March 12, 2022, 07:17:34 AM
Is there a setting in Brave that would allow you to mimic Chrome?

Good question! I don't think there is or I can't find it.

There are extensions for the PC version but can't install extensions in the Android version. That's also not fair. You can install extensions in the Android version of Chrome. I don't think you can install extensions in any other Android browsers which is probably a limitation of the Android SDK.

Maybe there is a hidden setting in the Brave browser that you can't access through the normal settings, like a hidden configuration setting. I remember Firefox used to have those. You type "settings: " or something. It looks like the Windows registry. I'll check, and report back. Thanks for the idea.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

I had googled it already, Bill and didn't find a solution. Google says Gmail works in Firefox, however.

Strangely, I tried it today and it worked! Weird. It wouldn't let me use my security key for 2FA, but I was able to log in using my phone instead. Weird that it worked this time. Maybe I just needed to restart Chrome OS (or Brave). I guess Windows isn't the only unpredictable OS! I attached a screenshot of what it looks like. Looks the same (and acts the same) as in Brave on my Toshiba laptop.

I have another issue with using Brave in Chrome OS but it seems to be intermittent. It has to do with the browser display flashing and then going black (sometimes). Touching the screen (or clicking the pointer) brings it back but it often does it again a few seconds later. Annoying. I'll search for a solution and post a new topic or a tip of I figure out how to get it to work. I don't have the issue on my Android phone (using version 10).

I'll review this Chromebook and Chrome OS generally if there's interest. Might take a few weeks though.

Jason

Btw, I include screenshots sometimes just to break up all the text and maybe attract more readers. :-) It's something I learned from Buster.

willjp

I wonder if this is related to the new-ish security settings.
This toggle keeps turning off for me now every few months, but while I was tinkering with mutt I found I needed to do this to allow myself to download/send emails.

- visit: https://myaccount.google.com/security
  - Less Secure Apps (header):
    - Turn on Access
      - [x] Allow less secure apps

Jason

Quote from: willjp on April 19, 2022, 10:32:04 PM
I wonder if this is related to the new-ish security settings.
This toggle keeps turning off for me now every few months, but while I was tinkering with mutt I found I needed to do this to allow myself to download/send emails.

- visit: https://myaccount.google.com/security
  - Less Secure Apps (header):
    - Turn on Access
      - [x] Allow less secure apps

Do you mean the screen flashing issue, will?